Building old gen I7 system

xJoseph

Prominent
May 6, 2017
Hi, I really want to build an high end old gen I7 system.
I just found a deal for I7 2600K for only 90$ can it still perform well in modern games?
I only game ******NO PRODUCTIVITY****** no video editing nor streaming.
Most of the game I play are single-dual core intensive, will it perform good?
If somehow someone steal this deal from me, can 3770 non K or Gen 3-4 non K I5 perform good? if I lose this deal, I might go for a I5 4690 or 4690K can it replace the CPU that I want?

Solution
Well, mild OC'ing is actually pretty easy with most k's. For good cooling either a case that breathes well combined with a quality fan and there are many available these days for both. Liquid cooling has come a long way in terms pre-manufactured options but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for a 1st OC build. A good mobo w/ stable power phases and most name brands all will get the job done while specific few are at the top. Finally but not least an adequate and reliable PSU, and again many are available. Ram & drives are really the icing on the cake, they can enhance a system but not necessarily going to make or break the final numbers in OC'ing.

On my 2600k build I went with an MSI board because it has a built in OC button feature...

xJoseph

Prominent
May 6, 2017

I actually have 0 knowledge about overclocking, not sure if I can overclock this thing safely

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Well, mild OC'ing is actually pretty easy with most k's. For good cooling either a case that breathes well combined with a quality fan and there are many available these days for both. Liquid cooling has come a long way in terms pre-manufactured options but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for a 1st OC build. A good mobo w/ stable power phases and most name brands all will get the job done while specific few are at the top. Finally but not least an adequate and reliable PSU, and again many are available. Ram & drives are really the icing on the cake, they can enhance a system but not necessarily going to make or break the final numbers in OC'ing.

On my 2600k build I went with an MSI board because it has a built in OC button feature. The board actually looks at temps and other things then automatically sets the highest clock its profiles allow(for these its 4.2GHZ but I've heard of many people manually getting over 4.5). I left mine at 4.2 because it does everything I need for gaming. I seriously get close to the highest FPS(usually within 5-10) that I read about for even the newest CPU's with my 1080ti. I personally would recommend a similar board for 1st time OC'er just so you can have the experience of watching it and learning, that is unless you have someone on hand you trust that will help as needed.

Solution

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
For the sake of keeping it simple though, I5's rated in the over 3GHZ pushing 4GHZ generally are incredible buys. For the purposes of what you state " I play are single-dual core intensive," something like that would probably be best. Just match it accordingly to a GPU & resolution you're happy with and have a cost effective simple build.