Question Building or Buying new PC, Reccomendations? ($1000-$1250 CAD Range)

Jun 29, 2020
I'm finally in a position to upgrade from my older gaming laptop to a decent PC setup! I thought I'd come here and ask peoples opinions on parts. I'm looking to spend $1000-$1250, but there is some wiggle room. Prebuilt or custom doesn't matter if it meets what I'm after.

I'd like 6GB VRAM, maybe a 2.9 ghz processor, and 12-16GB RAM, ideally. I play a lot of modern video games so it needs some oomph. If anyone's got some parts in mind to look for, I would love the advice!

Currently the GeForce RTX 2060 looks good, does anyone have experience with it?
The AMD Ryzen processors I've heard are really solid, but don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Probably just sticking to 1080p monitor for now, and yes preferably. It we go a little over it's not a big deal. Single monitor for now.
For your needs and your budget,you can build a pretty decent machine.
Check this out:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Kc7rjp
Unfortunally,rtx 2060 was out of the budget in my build,so i went with 1660Ti and to be honest there is not that big of a difference in 1080p gaming between those 2.The build came out around 1250 CAD (around 920$) which is right where your limit is.
I went with b550 for future proofing paired with the best higher-end budget cpu money can buy which is currently ryzen 5 3600.
I went with 2x8gb of 3600mhz ram,which is more than enough for this cpu.You have 240gb m.2 for windows which will be super fast,also you have 1tb off storage for games and other stuff.I put the nzxt h500 case in there,because its really nice,but ofcourse you can change that.I also went with a aftermarket cooler,since the stock cpu cooler isnt really that good at doing its job.I know that the cooler doesnt have price in pcpartpicker,but you can find new ones on amazon for 30$.Tell me what you think about this build.

Jun 29, 2020
This looks great, and lots of the parts have free shipping (hopefully to where I am!). Thanks a lot for the help, I'll see about getting some of these parts in the next few days.

Reactions: Dj0gany