Building PC for GF's StepMom (Limited Time Frame)

Armegor

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Hey everyone, I'm new to posting here, but I've been using Tom's as a fantastic place for information for half a year now.

I'm working to become a software engineer and recently got into building PC's and working with electronics. I built my own gaming desktop and because of that my girlfriend recruited me to build a PC for her stepmom. Her stepmom is going to college and will also be using it for home-related work like bills, documents, storing media, watching movies/videos, surfing the web, and listening to music. I'm sure that any cheap, retail rig would be great for all of that. She insists on buying this, though, if she buys a pre-built one (because its on sale): http://preview.tinyurl.com/pkb6fgs

The sale ends around the 30th, so it would be much appreciated if I could get feedback before then (that would be November 30th, 2015).

I personally think that's a pretty good sale for that PC, but its absurdly overpowered for what she needs (Feel free to disagree and tell me why). So, I was thinking about building her a PC that's around half the cost, gets her what she needs (and a little more), and makes her FEEL like she's getting an impressive deal. Then, with the 400 some dollars she saves, she can get a nice mouse/keyboard combo, better monitors, or something.

Here's what she asked of me/what I feel about request:
-16 gb RAM/ (Probably won't need more 4, I'll put in 8 to be safe)
-2 tb hdd/ (Probably won't need more than 1tb)
-dual monitors/ (Most graphics support that)
-wifi + hardwire/ (Easy)
-running youtube/ (Anything post 2006 will)
-running multiple tabs for online schooling/ (Again, hard to find something that won't)
-running movies+music/ (Standard)
-max budget $1000/ (You don't need to throw that much away)

Here's the build I have in mind: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mn9PCJ

I will most likely be using Newegg to actually order the pieces, which comes to a subtotal of about $397 on their site.

I figure this is MORE than enough for her and for a good price, too. I can provide her with any extra internal cables she needs and will be putting it all together for her.

So, I would like other's opinions on the matter. Everyone here really seems to know what they're talking about and any discussion about this would be quite helpful. What do you think of the build? Suggestions to make it better? Suggestions for better compatibility? Better hardware pieces for the same price as pieces I already have on there?

My only experience is building gaming and software design PCs, so I always worry about over doing the capabilities of a machine.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
1 - that is a horrible HP machine from Costco! holy crap. 24G ram, i7, and a GTX745??? what a mess. i wouldn't touch that at all, unless it was for $500

2 - i like how your great build COMPLETELY avoids spending any money on an OS. you gonna teach her Linux? plus $100 for Windows.

3 - laptop an option? i use my laptop way more than any of my desktops. it's just more flexible and usable without being anchored to one specific chair.

Armegor

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

1. If that's sarcasm, then nice. Good way to help people out.

2. No, I plan on using one of the extra copies of windows I have. I know, difficult concept.

3. Tried pitching it to her. She wants a desktop for home usage. Trust me, logic is not strong with this one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($40.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Antec ISK600 Mini ITX Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $374.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-17 20:08 EST-0500
You could also do this. The pentium should be enough for almost all her needs, guessing she is just watching youtube and maybe some word processing.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
1 - not sarcasm. that hp is just weird. way too much ram and an i7 but with just a gtx745? that graphic card is useless in comparison to the potential of the rest of the pc. but it says gtx so people might assume it's fantastic. meh.

2/3 - ok, that works then. rest of your build looks totally fine for such an uncomplicated client. APU with some ram. ok, personally i would take faster ram if you can find some, and plain stuff without those ugly tall heat spreaders which just make installing an aftermarket cpu cooler difficult. and they don't do anything anyways. and maybe find an A88X board instead of a 78.

Armegor

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

Thank you for the ideas! Say I were to run your build, but opt out the ssd for the 1 tb hdd, would the performance and/or speed really differ that much? She needs storage more than the speed and, from what I understand about ssd's and hdd's, the speed difference wouldn't be noted much for things like videos and text files.

Armegor

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

1. Okay, my bad. I'll store this away for later use. I knew it was an absurd amount of RAM, but the rest seemed fine to my untrained eye.

2/3. I was considering transferring out the current RAM for a HyperfuryX (the RAM I use myself, but didn't think about until bossyfins posted). I'll spend some time looking at A88X boards. Thanks for the help!