Building pc using one hard drive with software

XxMmMxX

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I want to build a new pc using two hard drive. One of the hard drive already have windows 7. Do i need a windows cd or do i need to edit somethimg at BIOS.

Sorry for my bad english and weird question. Hope you can help me.

Solution
Hey there, XxMmMxX.

From what I understand, you already have Windows 7 installed on a hard drive, which you've been using with a different computer and you want to use that hard drive with your new build, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case you won't be able to boot to Windows which has been pre-installed on the drive for a different system (OEM - Original equipment manufacturer). In this situation you'd need a Windows installation media (DVD/USB) in order for you to make a fresh install of Windows on your new drive. Note that I'd recommend that you have only the drive you want to install Windows to, connected during the installation process in order to avoid possible booting issues in the future.

Hope that help...
Hey there, XxMmMxX.

From what I understand, you already have Windows 7 installed on a hard drive, which you've been using with a different computer and you want to use that hard drive with your new build, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case you won't be able to boot to Windows which has been pre-installed on the drive for a different system (OEM - Original equipment manufacturer). In this situation you'd need a Windows installation media (DVD/USB) in order for you to make a fresh install of Windows on your new drive. Note that I'd recommend that you have only the drive you want to install Windows to, connected during the installation process in order to avoid possible booting issues in the future.

Hope that help. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions whatsoever.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
If the Windows install came with a computer and you change the Motherboard then you will need a windows cd and a new Key
if You had a Full Boxed Copy of windows then you would need the CD as a Full Format and Reinstall would be advisable with a major system change as the system will have drivers and files that may be in conflict with the new system.