Question Building PC

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I'll follow the format in the Sticky but at the bottom I'll have my notes.

Approximate Purchase Date: Already purchasing - not rushing still - just getting stuff while still on sale.

Budget Range: Don't go nuts. Don't not go nuts. 1500-3500? Probably over that with just the GPU...

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming. Gaming. Gaming. Roll 20. Web surfing.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes - but separate from budget range, that's for tower only.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - Much as I like Windows 7... probably time for me to give up and just use 10.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything besides Walmart.

Parts Preferences: Already ordered 9900KF. Gonna be an Intel build.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No - been there, done that.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 currently, but will be upgrading to 1440 or 4k. Struggling with the ridonculous monitor prices today, but I do like the idea of a curved screen 4k monitor for beautiful RPG immersion. Maybe for better FPS too.

Additional Comments: Don't want black and red. Crazy open for suggestions. Going to try and do another custom loop. Seems chips have gotten hotter since the days of my i5 2500K and I want this PC to last me 5+ more years. Current is probably fine tbh, but I miss building so much it hurts.

Current considerations and choices:

CPU: i9 - 9900KF (Arrives July 30)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGBZWDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GPU: A 2080 TI (maybe super?)

RAM: ???? Haven't got here yet. Probably 16GB. I want CAS14 and maybe I'll try to boost the Mobo to run 3200Mhz instead of that basic 2666.

Motherboard: I want to OC. Gigabyte gives me hives from peoples descriptions of the BIOS, ASUS has a program that does it for me, probably better than I could do it. MSI Godlike is expensive....

1. ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Maximus-...&s=gateway&sprefix=asus+maximu,aps,180&sr=8-2

2. Gigabyte Aorus Pro WIFI (I wish the non-wifi model was on sale for less than 180 since I'll be plugged into a LAN cable anyway...)
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z39...aorus+pro&qid=1563691866&s=electronics&sr=1-2

3. Something else?

Storage: ??? I want to make use of M.2 slots for SSD, but I honestly don't know if it's as simple as plugging in a 2TB SSD and never looking back or if I should just settle for SATA... Also never done a RAID, but with a 2TB SSD costing the same as a 2TB HDD from 5 years ago.... I'm kinda okay with just having 1.

Case: Is tempered glass okay? It seems like the glass gets in the way of the cooling. Also less fans because nothing mounted to the side anymore?

CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB Mid-Tower Case, 3 RGB Fans, Tempered Glass - Black
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Crys...+570X+RGB&qid=1563693408&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Liquid Cooling Loop: What's out there? Can I use sharkbite fittings and hoses from Home Depot instead of paying 10X more for "gamer" fittings??

If you want liquid cooling you could get an AIO unless you 100% want a custom loop the case has good airflow from what I can see the only reason to get NVME SSD is if you move files around a lot otherwise get a SATA SSD if you want an extremely good overclocking board check here or the ASUS you talked about RAM won't matter too much but get like 3000MHz if possible 2080 Ti the 2080 SUPER seems like it's gonna be a flop finally I'd personally say if you want strictly gaming get the i7 9700K the i9 is better but barely unless you aren't gonna be doing strictly gaming also my personal opinion 1440P is better then 4K still expensive but not as crazy like 4K.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($238.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair - MP510 1.92 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB SEA HAWK X Video Card ($1089.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 650 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2197.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-21 05:36 EDT-0400

Unfortunately I don't know much about water cooling loops, so excluding that, how does this look? Of course, you could go down to 16GB RAM, but with a 9900k and 2080 Ti, i don't really see the point. Also, M.2 NVMe drives will be so much faster than SATA SSDs, you will notice it when booting into Windows, launching programs, and everything else you do. You can change the motherboard to what you see fit, just make sure it has an 8pin CPU connector plus a 4 pin one, so that you get enough power for the overclocking.

Reactions: omnilicious

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Corsair comparable to Samsung/Crucial for SSD's? Hearing they have the best quality atm.
Also, if I put two SSD's in, one to each M.2 slot, will it read both, or do I still need to do a RAID (I've never had multiple storage devices before).

Your list looks good to me. I haven't delved into detailed breakdowns of GPU/SSD/Memory/PSU's yet like I have for Mobo/CPU, but I will :p. GPU's are the most annoying because they can be so different despite having the same architecture.

Corsair comparable to Samsung/Crucial for SSD's? Hearing they have the best quality atm.
Also, if I put two SSD's in, one to each M.2 slot, will it read both, or do I still need to do a RAID (I've never had multiple storage devices before).

Your list looks good to me. I haven't delved into detailed breakdowns of GPU/SSD/Memory/PSU's yet like I have for Mobo/CPU, but I will :p. GPU's are the most annoying because they can be so different despite having the same architecture.
It will read both. One will come up as the C drive, and another will come up as D drive (or whatever Windows assigns to them).
The Samsung 970 will outperform the Corsair, but when loading times for things are so low anyway, it comes down to scenarios that are a matter of only just above 20 seconds for the MP510, and only just below 20 seconds for the high end ones.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9DL1kvODAzOTg2L29yaWdpbmFsLzE4LnBuZw==

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i9-9900KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $419.99 @ Walmart
Motherboard | Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $279.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $238.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $217.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB SEA HAWK X Video Card | $1089.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair - Crystal 570X ATX Mid Tower Case | $139.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $189.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $105.89 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-21 13:58 EDT-0400 |

Upgraded the PSU because I'm pretty sure the watercooling pump will take a bit of room - the CPU and memory will be OC so they will use up some extra wattage too.

I like that 5 year warranty on the samsung SSD, but I wish it was just a little cheaper. Might still go with the corsair as I've taken to never uninstalling games after they've been installed. Might just make use of my external 3TB too though.

ASUS mobo because I'm feeling real lazy about Overclocking CPU. My old ASRock has a similar feature that lets me change OC in windows and I love the hell out of it.

Looks good. If the old Windows 7 was retail key activated, you could probably reuse the key, and even activate Windows 10 with it. At the moment, Microsoft are letting people activate Windows 10 with 7 keys. It might mean a 5 minute phone call to Microsoft explaining that you changed your hardware and it deactivated, but I think 5 minutes is worth $100.

Reactions: omnilicious

omnilicious

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Having an issue trying to get my hands on the G.skill 3200 CL14.

Sold out everywhere/back ordered at newegg. How big a hit would it be if I used CL16? Could try upping the frequency to make up for it, but not 100% on OCing RAM to begin with.

TRENDING THREADS