Building rig for the first time. Need to know if it is solid.

mykpark

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hello,

This was my first time building budget gaming computer.

I did some research as I bought the components, but now that I have everything and ready to go I was wondering if there's no problem with this build.

Here is the list of my components:

CPU - Intel Core I3-2100 LGA 1155
MOBO - Gigabyte H61MA-D3V
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 OC edition
RAM - Ballistix (2x2gb) PC-12800 DDR3 - 1333
PSU - OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W 80 Plus Certified.
HDD - None
SSD - OCZ Agility3 90GB
CASE - Cougar Solution + 140mm Cougar case fan

I was not really looking to oc since I am a newb. but the fact that I have oc edition GPU worries me. Do I need OC-able cpu and mobo for GPU?
I think 600W should be enough to run my build. please correct me if I am wrong. I do have external Storage so did not include HDD and decided to give SSD a try.
I did not get any Optical drive since I can install Windows 7 from a USB and do not think it was necessary to have it.

Solution
That's a decent budget build...older tech (H61 and Sandybridge i3) but perfectly workable.

I'd up the RAM to 2x4GB if you can, it won't cost much more at all. Not sure OCZ are the best PSU manufacturers...you can get a 600W Corsair System Builder PSU which is good. 600W is fine for that system. A 90GB SSD is fine for an OS (although you'll find that a 120GB SSD won't cost that much more at all). I'd not recommend using an external drive for storage that you'll access frequently, mainly because USB may bottleneck access and cause lag in games. However, that's just speculation...never tried it myself.

And no, and optical drive isn't necessary.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
That's a decent budget build...older tech (H61 and Sandybridge i3) but perfectly workable.

I'd up the RAM to 2x4GB if you can, it won't cost much more at all. Not sure OCZ are the best PSU manufacturers...you can get a 600W Corsair System Builder PSU which is good. 600W is fine for that system. A 90GB SSD is fine for an OS (although you'll find that a 120GB SSD won't cost that much more at all). I'd not recommend using an external drive for storage that you'll access frequently, mainly because USB may bottleneck access and cause lag in games. However, that's just speculation...never tried it myself.

And no, and optical drive isn't necessary.

Solution