[SOLVED] Building Ryzen 3 Desktop

arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
QUESTIONS:
  1. Any problems with this build?
  2. Can I improve it for the work I do?
  3. Any other suggestions?
USE: Programming, Occasional video/audio encoding, Watching BluRay 1080p videos/movies, YouTube in HD, Browsing with 10-15 tabs in one Firefox window with 2 more windows opened. 12-15 hours a day
OS: Arch Linux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux)
BUDGET: $2000 (150,000 Indian Rupees)
BUYING FROM: Amazon India (https://www.amazon.in/), Newegg India (https://www.newegg.com/global/in-en), MDComputers (https://mdcomputers.in/)
BRAND: AMD-Fanboy
GAMES: No
Overclocking: No
BUILDING WHEN: In 2 weeks from today
UPGRADE: After 4 years

Breakdown in Indian Rupees is down here, all parts are clickable links to respective sites I mentioned above:

AMD Ryzen 3700X = 32,000
Hyper 212 Black Edition = 4,000
ASUS ROG STRIX Vega 56 = 24,000
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC = 13,000 (see note down)
Crucial MX500 512 GB M.2 SSD = 5,500
Gskill TridentZ RGB (2x8GB) 3000MHz = 10,000
Samsung 27" Monitor, Curved Bezel Less = 18,000
APC UPS BR-1000G = 10,000
Corsair CX650 80+ Bronze = 8,000
HP External DVD Writer = 1,500
Antec GX202 Case = 4,000

Total = 130,000

NOTE: MSI has BIOS update for Ryzen 3 series on their site (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC). This Motherboard has BIOS flash utility and hence I can update it with a USB drive without putting on a CPU.
screenshot_2019-07-15-msi-global-png.8397

Last edited:
Solution
Ok. I don't see anything there that "I" know for sure is particularly fond of Nvidia over AMD or visa versa, so the camp you choose probably isn't a factor.

I think the RX580 or any card above it (RX590 is a lame refresh of the RX580. Don't fall for it unless it's LESS expensive than what you can get an RX 580 for because you can EASILY overclock the RX580 to RX590 levels of performance on practically any RX580 card model) is more than sufficient for anything you have listed unless you are using GIMP to create very complex projects with extremely high resolutions and MANY layers. If so, then buy the most powerful card you can reasonably afford.

There might be a few programs you listed that have the ability to make use of GPU resources...

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
QUESTIONS:
  1. Any problems with this build?
  2. Can I improve it for the work I do?
  3. Any other suggestions?
USE: Programming, Occasional video/audio encoding, Watching BluRay 1080p videos/movies, YouTube in HD, Browsing with 10-15 tabs in one Firefox window with 2 more windows opened. 12-15 hours a day
OS: Arch Linux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux)
BUDGET: $2000 (150,000 Indian Rupees)
BUYING FROM: Amazon India (https://www.amazon.in/), Newegg India (https://www.newegg.com/global/in-en), MDComputers (https://mdcomputers.in/)
BRAND: AMD-Fanboy
GAMES: No
Overclocking: No
BUILDING WHEN: In 2 weeks from today
UPGRADE: After 4 years

Breakdown in Indian Rupees is down here, all parts are clickable links to respective sites I mentioned above:

AMD Ryzen 3700X = 32,000
Hyper 212 Black Edition = 4,000
ASUS ROG STRIX vega 56 = 24,000
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC = 13,000 (see note down)
Crucial MX500 512 GB M.2 SSD = 5,500
Gskill TridentZ RGB (2x8GB) 3000MHz = 10,000
Samsung 27" Monitor, Curved Bezel Less = 18,000
APC UPS BR-1000G = 10,000
Corsair CX650 80+ Bronze = 8,000
HP External DVD Writer = 1,500
Antec GX202 Case = 4,000

Total = 130,000

NOTE: MSI has BIOS update for Ryzen 3 series on their site (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC). This Motherboard has BIOS flash utility and hence I can update it with a USB drive without putting on a CPU.
screenshot_2019-07-15-msi-global-png.8397

So, 3700X is no APU, so you will need a GPU
I would recommend new 5700XT, but probably wait for 3rd party cards because of the blower style cooler.
Also no need for a cooler, stock Wraith Prism is way enough for non OC 3700X

Rest:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | ₹31549.00 @ Amazon India
Motherboard | MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard | ₹13599.00 @ Amazon India
Memory | G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | ₹9998.00 @ Amazon India
Storage | Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | ₹5300.00 @ Amazon India
Storage | Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | ₹3164.00 @ Amazon India
Case | NZXT - Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower Case | ₹6815.20 @ Amazon India
Power Supply | SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply |-
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | ₹70425.20
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 16:48 IST+0530 |

So, 3700X is no APU, so you will need a GPU

As mentioned, there IS a graphics card included. Last I checked anyhow, the Vega 56 qualified. LOL.

They are in India, yes, they NEED a better cooler than what comes with it. Not because it's going to give them a higher PBO or overclocking ceiling, and not because it's going to give them lower maximum temps, but because it IS going to run at a constant 2000rpm or higher pretty much all the time and the noise is going to drive them insane. Get a better cooler. The 212 EVO is ok, but it is not a particularly quiet cooler either.

If you want to go cheap, but still end up with a better cooler than the stock one OR the Hyper 212, then I'd go with this:

https://www.amazon.in/DEEPCOOL-GAMM..._89:DEEPCOOL&rnid=3837712031&s=gateway&sr=8-6

You won't even have to change the stock backplate with that cooler.

If you want a really decent cooler, without getting too out of hand on the budget, then I'd look at this:

https://www.amazon.in/Mugen-Rev-CPU...he+CPU+cooler&qid=1563218340&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Or this:

https://www.amazon.in/814256001052-...=Thermalright&qid=1563218374&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or this:

https://www.amazon.in/Noctua-NH-U14...ywords=Noctua&qid=1563218394&s=gateway&sr=8-8

As far as the memory goes, the difference in performance between 3000mhz and 3200mhz is not particularly significant, and it's doubtful you'll get it to run at anything past 3200mhz anyhow on a B450 board, so the choice of those sticks is totally ok with me UNLESS you can get the 3200mhz sticks for a similar price, and then it doesn't make sense to NOT get them in that case.

arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
They are in India, yes, they NEED a better cooler than what comes with it. Not because it's going to give them a higher PBO or overclocking ceiling, and not because it's going to give them lower maximum temps, but because it IS going to run at a constant 2000rpm or higher pretty much all the time and the noise is going to drive them insane. Get a better cooler. The 212 EVO is ok, but it is not a particularly quiet cooler either.

yeah, weather runs hotter here, like 45 degree Celcius and sometimes hits 50+ degrees too.

If you want to go cheap, but still end up with a better cooler than the stock one OR the Hyper 212, then I'd go with this:
...SNIP..

Nice choices. I looked at them earlier. U14S is too broad and I think it may touch graphics card backplate. So I was considering U12S. When it comes to shipping to India, shipping and import tax affect the any product a lot. So, purely from the economic perspective I can get Noctua NH-D15 and Dark Rock 4 for the money. Dark Rock 4 blocks the first RAM slot but MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC needs only 2nd and 4th slots to be used for dual-channel to work. D15 is way too big and the fan has to be mounted little bit high and can interfere with case width.

As far as the memory goes, the difference in performance between 3000mhz and 3200mhz is not particularly significant, and it's doubtful you'll get it to run at anything past 3200mhz anyhow on a B450 board, so the choice of those sticks is totally ok with me UNLESS you can get the 3200mhz sticks for a similar price, and then it doesn't make sense to NOT get them in that case.

Yes, you are right. They both cost same. I will get 3200 MHz then

The U14S will fit ANY motherboard and configuration that the D15 will fit. It is the exact same width, 150mm. The D15 is literally two U14S coolers on one assembly for the most part. They are both the same width and height. Only the depth is different. I have a U14S on my system, for many years now, and couldn't be happier.

The Thermalright (NOT to EVER be confused with Thermaltake, which is no ways on the same level when it comes to quality) and Scythe coolers that I listed are pretty excellent as well.

Any of them should fit even with a large graphics card installed. If they didn't, they wouldn't sell any of them because gamers are the only people interested (For the most part. For every five gamers that buy one you might get one person with a productivity system that does) in buying these higher end coolers so they HAVE to be compatible with big graphics cards, because that's what their target market is going to be using.

Dark rock 4 has poor performance compared to any of these other coolers. The ONLY benefit, in my opinion, and even then it's really not a benefit but more like a marketing tactic, to the BeQuiet coolers, is noise levels. And the ONLY way they achieve those lower noise levels is by limiting the maximum RPM of their fans so that they can't exceed a given decibel level and will look good on paper. Unfortunately, that also means the cooling performance is limited. Granted, you can put a different fan on one of their heatsinks and probably get halfway decent performance, but I don't know why anybody would want to do that when it costs more to buy a cooler and then have to buy another fan as well.

Especially when these others come with good fans to begin with.

When it comes to fans, and therefore CPU coolers, at any given RPM or any given rate of airflow (CFM), Noctua will be quieter. No other air cooler manufacturer will have equal or better airflow, for example, when both coolers are sitting at 18db. Or 21db. Or 25db. At any equal CFM the Noctua will be quieter. At any equal decibel level the Noctua will have a higher airflow and therefore better performance. And that is without even factoring in the higher quality and design engineering of the heatsinks themselves.

Thermalright isn't too far behind them. In terms of quality and performance, these are my go to recommendations. Take it for what you will.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.[/B]

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
FSP Windale 6
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
Noctua NH-U14S
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock pro (3 or 4)
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S
Cryorig H7
Deepcool Gammaxx 400

Cooler Master Hyper 212 (EVO, X, RGB. I'd only recommend this cooler if no other good aftermarket models are available to you.)

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.

Reactions: arnuld

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
As mentioned, there IS a graphics card included. Last I checked anyhow, the Vega 56 qualified. LOL.

https://www.amazon.in/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-120mm-Cooler-Socket/dp/B01CNFRMRS/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=cpu+cooler&qid=1563218147&refinements=p_89:DEEPCOOL&rnid=3837712031&s=gateway&sr=8-6

You won't even have to change the stock backplate with that cooler.

If you want a really decent cooler, without getting too out of hand on the budget, then I'd look at this:

https://www.amazon.in/Mugen-Rev-CPU...he+CPU+cooler&qid=1563218340&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Or this:

https://www.amazon.in/814256001052-...=Thermalright&qid=1563218374&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or this:

https://www.amazon.in/Noctua-NH-U14...ywords=Noctua&qid=1563218394&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I don´t think so, i ran stock cooler with 2700X OC, which had higher TDP and after custom fan curve it never spooled up to its max rpm. I had it set to reach 100% at 80+ and even during aida and stuff it didn´t go over that. Im also in quite a hot climate.

Id recommend to try the stock cooler and AFTER it proves insufficient to buy 3rd party one.

B450 boards that support higher clocks 3200+ are ofcourse able to run at 3200+. It is not needed though. From what i have seen, 3rd gen are best paired with low Cl 3200Mhz.

Well Bob, that's great, but I sort of doubt you have the same ambient temperatures as the OP, which of course is going to be a factor in EVERY type of thermal situation.

Unless you are in India, or the Gobi desert, or Death valley, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, but it's pretty doubtful that you'd be looking at the sort of lack of easily obtainable air conditioning that our friends in India deal with or the probability of 45-50°C ambient temperatures. I am not however guaranteeing that, given the high ambient temps.

Regardless of all that though, yes, so long as you are running stock configurations and not overclocking (Or in my opinion even running a PBO configuration that is much the same as a preset overclocking profile for any other platform than Ryzen), then you are probably fine with the stock cooler in terms of "can it keep the CPU within thermal specifications?".

I disagree with the idea, that seems to mostly be held (Not by just you, but in a much larger view) by those who have little to no experience in the differences between these coolers and a good aftermarket cooler.) that these are just as good as a reliable aftermarket option. They're not. Nobody is going to give you a cooler that is on par with something that another company has to get 25-50 dollars for in order for it to be worth their time to manufacture. There is not enough profit margin on CPUs to give you a 30 dollar cooler for free, so you can bet they are designed and made as cheaply as possible, although I will grant you that in terms of stock coolers historically, these are without doubt probably the best versions we've seen through the years and much better than what Intel supplies with those models they do offer a stock cooler with.

If you want reliable, capable, quiet cooling, you buy an aftermarket cooler. If you want a cooler that is able to keep your CPU within thermal specifications, and not much more than that, you stick with the stock cooler and wear a pair of headphones, ESPECIALLY if you live somewhere that has the potential for a 50°C ambient temperature. You realize that means that on any given day during the warm season, they are likely STARTING OUT at a temperature AT IDLE that is about equivalent to what most other people are seeing under an average load and about 15-20°C higher than the idle temp for most systems?

One thing of note that I will also grant however, is that the Wraith coolers, or really, any very good top down cooler, offers much better residual airflow to the VRM and power delivery components, and that might also be a consideration given the high ambient temperature. VRM throttling might be a real, serious consideration under those conditions, even beyond what the average person would be looking at.

Last edited:

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Well Bob, that's great, but I sort of doubt you have the same ambient temperatures as the OP, which of course is going to be a factor in EVERY type of thermal situation.

Unless you are in India, or the Gobi desert, or Death valley, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, but it's pretty doubtful that you'd be looking at the sort of lack of easily obtainable air conditioning that our friends in India deal with or the probability of 45-50°C ambient temperatures. I am not however guaranteeing that, given the high ambient temps.

Regardless of all that though, yes, so long as you are running stock configurations and not overclocking (Or in my opinion even running a PBO configuration that is much the same as a preset overclocking profile for any other platform than Ryzen), then you are probably fine with the stock cooler in terms of "can it keep the CPU within thermal specifications?".

I disagree with the idea, that seems to mostly be held (Not by just you, but in a much larger view) by those who have little to no experience in the differences between these coolers and a good aftermarket cooler.) that these are just as good as a reliable aftermarket option. They're not. Nobody is going to give you a cooler that is on par with something that another company has to get 25-50 dollars for in order for it to be worth their time to manufacture. There is not enough profit margin on CPUs to give you a 30 dollar cooler for free, so you can bet they are designed and made as cheaply as possible, although I will grant you that in terms of stock coolers historically, these are without doubt probably the best versions we've seen through the years and much better than what Intel supplies with those models they do offer a stock cooler with.

If you want reliable, capable, quiet cooling, you buy an aftermarket cooler. If you want a cooler that is able to keep your CPU within thermal specifications, and not much more than that, you stick with the stock cooler and wear a pair of headphones, ESPECIALLY if you live somewhere that has the potential for a 50°C ambient temperature. You realize that means that on any given day during the warm season, they are likely STARTING OUT at a temperature AT IDLE that is about equivalent to what most other people are seeing under an average load and about 15-20°C higher than the idle temp for most systems?

One thing of note that I will also grant however, is that the Wraith coolers, or really, any very good top down cooler, offers much better residual airflow to the VRM and power delivery components, and that might also be a consideration given the high ambient temperature. VRM throttling might be a real, serious consideration under those conditions, even beyond what the average person would be looking at.

First thing, currently im in ambient tempartures of 40C. Second, hyper 212 is a noisy cooler and offers pretty much no difference, only 1-2C and noise levels are actually higher on the Hyper 212. Its true that i am not well versed in all coolers, but i currently own Dark rock pro 4, wraith max and prism, Noctua nh d14 and noctua nh-l12s. And i can tell you that even between Wraith Prism and d14 or dark rock, if you pimp your fan curve to stop fan spooling up to 100% every time one core boosts, its not that bad. I was rocking Prism on my 2700X and then switched to Dark Rock 4 and the difference was not that large at all in terms of noise levels. I have the 3700X now and plan to switch to it this week so i can let you know the difference in my 40C ambient temps at home between the Prism and Dark Rock, i plan to try the prism first since the last time a switched i was not impressed too much. also lower TDP will help.

Managed to find a link where they compare 212 nad Wraith Max directly.
http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-max-and-wraith-spire-cooler/2

If you want to upgrade to 3rd party cooler from the Prism, make it a d14/15 or Dark rock, maybe Scythe. Definitly not Hyper 212, those are wasted money.
And as you say, there is the advantage of cooling your VRM, which might be bigger issue in hot climates then louder fan.

EDIT: One last thing, is it really that bad idea to let him try stock cooler, maybe play a bit with it, and THEN decide if 3rd party one is needed?

Last edited:
No where, ever, have you seen me specifically recommend the 212 EVO. It is on the bottom of my list of recommended coolers ONLY as a comparative metric to show that is is below ALL of the coolers which I do recommend. That's it. So, I agree in that regard, the 212 EVO is not a good choice IMO. Others will disagree and hold it high in their praises. Whatever.

Trying the stock cooler first is NOT a bad idea. I absolutely recommend it if a person is INCLINED to do so. However, it IS NOT a very good idea if they are not inclined to do so, even remotely, and there is any chance of needing to take the motherboard back OUT of the case just to do something that could have been done in the first place, IF the case is not a model that has a backplate cutout.

Looks like the GX202 DOES have a backplate cutout, so nothing lost by trying the stock cooler first I suppose. It's still not going to offer comparable performance to any of the better aftermarket coolers in terms of noise levels or total rise over ambient, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be "good enough" for any particular user.

Given the ambient of his region, I'm HIGHLY skeptical that it's going to be the correct solution though.

Another thing that should be factored in is whether or not there will be enough case airflow to begin with. This is probably going to be a lot more important in THIS situation that for most others, even given that it's ALWAYS an important consideration regardless of ambient.

Hmm, seems that case already comes with all of the fan locations filled, so I guess that's not something that he needs to even worry about UNLESS they end up not offering sufficient airflow and then a higher CFM model might be considered at that point but they are probably good enough for now, as is.

arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
My current system has AMD Athlon II X3 440 CPU. I used stock cooler for 3 years on it with temps always staying in range of 61-66. One day I was reading about cooling solution and I replaced it with Deepcool Gammax 200 and temps dropped down to 40-43. That was an amazing drop. Recently I have reading more about cooling and came to know, AIO water cooling is not that much VFM comparing to air coolers like Noctua NH-D15. Not ot mention the radiator noise, pip-leaks and an extra point of failure if radiator dies. So I fell out with water coolers then.

And by far in all air coolers, Noctua seems to be the king and of course there is lot of praise towards Scythe Mugen Rev B I have read about. It is just that it costs just $5 more than D15 in India.

Hyper 212 EVO has been the most reviewed and compared cpu cooler but like you said @Darkbreeze it is no where comparable to U14S or D15. I will order D15 then, it is the most pocket-friendly cpu-cooler I know in India:

https://www.newegg.com/global/in-en/p/13C-0005-00111?Description=noctua d15&cm_re=noctua_d15--9SIAADY5BC1607--Product

Point #2, I am thinking of replacing 3700X with 3600X because it has 200 extra Mhz of raw power (3.8 GHz vs 3.6 of 3700X) and it also has higher TDP which may lead to better PBO and auto-OCing that X in 3600X stands for. Correct me if I am wrong, I think those 2 are better bargain than 2 extra cores.

Point 3, I can get Cooler Master H500 too but that does not fit in my computer table:

https://www.flipkart.com/nilkamal-g...PTEFYZQAWBYZV27&lid=LSTCPTEFYZQAWBYZV27MFGWMA

The 3700x has the SAME maximum boost frequency, plus two additional cores. The 3600x is still a good CPU, but it doesn't perform as well as the 3700x.

I'm honestly not sure WHY the 3700x has a lower TDP than the 3600x, because logically, it shouldn't. But in any case, that's better, because it means it will run cooler and will not need as high end of a motherboard to handle the higher TDP. I think it has to do with the lower all core boost, but it's definitely by design.

This might be helpful.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bthoie/discussionhow_does_ryzen_7_3700x_65w_run_lower/

As mentioned, the 3700x doesn't show any particularly promising benefits for gaming, over the 3600x, but it DOES offer HEDT type performance benefits for productivity software which is mainly what you've indicated you'll be running, and with the extra two cores your multitasking is going to be a bit smoother. I think I'd stick with the 3700x if I was doing what you plan to do, but that's clearly your choice.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Here is more to think. Vega56 and 5700 have only $25 difference and Vega 64 and 5700 are priced exactly same in India. I don't do gaming but productivity yeah. What you say, go get 5700?

I wouldn't go for the 3800X, its advantage over 3700X marginal. I second your choice to go with nh-d15, I think it's a best cooler out there, I like dark rock pro 4 I bit better because of the looks, but d14 and 15 have much better mounting system imo. I have 3700X now, it's really good chip. With ambient of 32C I got up only to 69C with prime 95 and a stock cooler. With something like noctua it will be very quiet. Also if you benefit from more cores, and are willing to consider 3800X, maybe you could even take a look at 3900X. It's 12 cores run smoothly on most of B450 and X470. My friend has it in x470 aorus ultra gaming, which is only 4 real phase mobo, and he said it works just fine, with Vrm temps in the same range as his 2700x before.

In terms of card. If you have an option to go for a Navi card, I would do that. Probably the 5700 is the best value for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkbreeze