Building safest 6 GPU mining rig with GTX 1070 TI

cryptominer2018

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hello Folks,

If any of the following statements/questions are silly please bear with me.

I am for the first time, building a mining rig with following configuration:

6x - EVGA - GEFORCE GTX 1070Ti 8GB GDDR (dual 8 pin pcie slots)

1x - Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor

1x - Biostar - Z270GT9 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

1x - G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
1x - Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

1x - EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (1 MB connector, 2 CPU connectors, 5 VGA connectors, 4 SATA connectors, 1 PERF connector)

6x - 60cm PCI-E Adapter USB 3.0 1x to 16x GPU Riser 4pin+6pin+SATA

6x - PCI-Express PCIE 8 Pin to Dual 8 (6+2) Pin (power splitter)
1x - Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

1x - Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

The objective is to build a safest mining rig possible so please let me know if above parts should be replaced with better parts to make the rig safe.

I read lots of content on the internet, read forum questions and watched ton of youtube videos, however I still havent figured out how to connect risers and GPUs to PSU. I have following questions:

1) GPU has dual 8 pin pcie slots, does that mean I need to two 8 pin connectors between one GPU and PSU? If yes then it will use up 2 VGA slots on PSU.

2) How do I connect riser to PSU unit? Do I connect one riser (using 6 pin to SATA) to SATA slot on PSU? If yes then it will use up 1 SATA slot on PSU.

3) The PSU has only 4 SATA slots and 5 VGA slots. does that mean I need 3 PSU to connect all 6 GPUs?
4) Is it safe to use power splitter to hook up 1 riser and 1 GPU to 1 splitter? The GPU has dual 8 pin slot so how would splitter work since will have 3 incoming connections (1 from riser and 2 from GPUs)?

There are lots of discussions on how not to use SATA connectors for risers as they are not safe. There are lots of discussions on how splitters are not safe. Therefore I am totally confused ... :(

Please help, if you have pictures or diagrams to illustrate set up that will be really awesome.

Cryptominer2018

Solution
My EVGA 850 watt came with 8 pin plugs that split - one plugs into the power supply and then on the other end there are 2 plugs that you could use on 1 GPU, so in essence, each GPU needs only one plug on the actual PSU.

I have a 1070 Ti mini, so I have one sata output (into a molex connector, cord came from EVGA) that powers the riser, and then I have an 8-pin powering the GPU itself.

As far as the risk with using the SATA connectors, it isn't the output from the power supply that is the problem, it's the tiny pins on the actual SATA connectors. My cable from EVGA is a 6 pin out of the power supply (spot marked SATA), into an 6+2 pin that powers the GPU.

wxxyz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
My EVGA 850 watt came with 8 pin plugs that split - one plugs into the power supply and then on the other end there are 2 plugs that you could use on 1 GPU, so in essence, each GPU needs only one plug on the actual PSU.

I have a 1070 Ti mini, so I have one sata output (into a molex connector, cord came from EVGA) that powers the riser, and then I have an 8-pin powering the GPU itself.

As far as the risk with using the SATA connectors, it isn't the output from the power supply that is the problem, it's the tiny pins on the actual SATA connectors. My cable from EVGA is a 6 pin out of the power supply (spot marked SATA), into an 6+2 pin that powers the GPU.

Solution