Question building server motherboards as CPU crypto miners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2021
I want to build some HP Proliant DL360p G8 motherboards with some e5-2660v2 cpu's to mine raptoreum and speculate on it's potential. my apartment is freezing and the landlord won't fix the heat but i have cheap .09$/kWh electricity, so i might as well heat my apartment with crypto miners. ive found the power supplies for this mobo are really cheap, and im told standard hard drives and non ecc ram work okay, but someone on another forum is telling me the motherboard will throw error codes if it's not installed in it's proper 1u chassis. all the cool kids have gpu racks on extruded aluminum, why can't i build server motherboards without 1u chassis?

kanewolf

Titan
I want to build some HP Proliant DL360p G8 motherboards with some e5-2660v2 cpu's to mine raptoreum and speculate on it's potential. my apartment is freezing and the landlord won't fix the heat but i have cheap .09$/kWh electricity, so i might as well heat my apartment with crypto miners. ive found the power supplies for this mobo are really cheap, and im told standard hard drives and non ecc ram work okay, but someone on another forum is telling me the motherboard will throw error codes if it's not installed in it's proper 1u chassis. all the cool kids have gpu racks on extruded aluminum, why can't i build server motherboards without 1u chassis?
Server motherboards are picky about things like the number and speed of fans connected. They are designed to have 4 to 6 small fans blowing air through the sealed case. The case is a significant device in the cooling design.

PeterMuellerr

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
If know what you are doing, you can do whatever you wish. The first part (knowing what you are doing, i.e., cooling your motherboards, 1u, or servers) requires certain know-how and trial-and-error, a years-long process. There are companies specialized in silent cooling (e.g. Deltatronic, Silentmaxx); silence is what you wish to have for an apartment or else you'd have a lot of noise disturbing you sleep and damaging your ears and your psyche in the long run.

Last edited:

PeterMuellerr

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
The loss of fans is a significant problem and is alerted
That's right. If you turn off the fans, you should be damn well knowing where the heat goes to and what you're doing. By default, when a processor overheats, it turns itself off. If you overheat it often, it lives shorter. If you wish to heat with a workstation at home, I'd really put the money in and go for an off-the-shelf solution for a silent workstation. Or else be prepared for trial-and-error.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021
That's right. If you turn of the fans, you should be damn well knowing where the heat goes to and what you're doing. By default, when a processor overheats, it turns itself off. If you overheat it often, it lives shorter. If you wish to heat with a workstation at home, I'd really put the money in and go for an off-the-shelf solution for a silent workstation. Or else be prepared for trial-and-error.
yeah your right but i'm seeing that these dual processors don't have a dedicated fan, just a heatsink, and relies on the case airflow for cooling, if i use a cpu heatsink and fan combo, and leave the vrms and ram exposed to open air in my frigid apartment, nothing should overheat

......why can't i build server motherboards without 1u chassis?
Because, in this case the motherboard and case make up an integrated system. Adequate cooling will not take place if you try to cobble something else together. In addition, there are expected to be a specific type and number of fans present and functional else the board will shutdown and refuse to run. Servers are not desktops and cannot be treated as though they are.

Aug 8, 2021
9 year old processors?

Just because it has the word "server" next to it does not make it powerful.
i just overclocked my 7 year old 5960x and got way more frames in my games. the processors i'm looking at have 25mb L3 cache which is useful for cpu crypto mining. and price to performance may not be relevant when it comes to playing modern triple a titles, but i'm just trying to run simple crypto mining software, it's literally running in windows command prompt.

Aug 8, 2021
Because, in this case the motherboard and case make up an integrated system. Adequate cooling will not take place if you try to cobble something else together. In addition, there are expected to be a specific type and number of fans present and functional else the board will shutdown and refuse to run. Servers are not desktops and cannot be treated as though they are.
thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.