Question Building the Ultimate 775 Gaming PC

nexus.marce

Reputable
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,

My one and only gaming pc is based in the old 775 socket and i'm upgrading based on that. My objective is to make the best of best using the 775 socket. My specs currenty are:

CPU: Core2Quad Q9550
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Extreme (x38 chipset)
RAM: Corsair CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 (4x2GB)
Power Supply: White Label 550w
Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC
Cooler: Something Chinese
Case: Atop XBlade

I need an opinion what i can swap to be more time acurate (like the graphics for a HD 5970), a more powerfull component (im trying to find an 780i ultra or a strikerII extreme) or if even possible an old funky watercooler.

Lutfij

Titan
I still have the Rampage Extreme, waercooled the processor and the chipset with a 360mm radiator. I did that back in 2013 though. Now I doubt you're going to find any X48 chipset motherboard in good condition. You might want to ditch the idea of an Nvidia chipset motherboard since they had pitfalls with their overclocking on the North Bridge side.

nexus.marce

Reputable
Nov 28, 2018
I still have the Rampage Extreme, waercooled the processor and the chipset with a 360mm radiator. I did that back in 2013 though. Now I doubt you're going to find any X48 chipset motherboard in good condition. You might want to ditch the idea of an Nvidia chipset motherboard since they had pitfalls with their overclocking on the North Bridge side.
I tried to get an xfx nforce 790i ultra but was sold before open the sell annoucement:(. The x48 mobos are very rare. I found some in chinese suppliers but they cost as gold.

Lutfij

Titan
I should walk back my point about 2013, I purchased the motherboard in 2010. I retired the build while everything was yet in working order to hold for posterities sake.

My 2 cents, don't bother sinking money into it unless you really have disposable funds burning a hole in your wallet/pocket.