Building/upgrading Gaming Laptop

man5000000

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Hi! I just built a new desktop gaming PC, and am now looking to build a gaming laptop. I have an old IBook G4 , and if I could change the motherboard and other parts on it, I think it would make a good candidate for upgrade. Plus it's got a good screen and optical drive already installed. Is there a motherboard I can fit into this case, as well as a good gaming GPU and processor? And if not, are there any cheap laptops recommended for upgrades of this sort? Thanks!

Solution
USAFRet pretty much said all. You can't simply buy a random laptop motherboard and throw it in the case. Pretty much all laptops are one and done with parts. Meaning there is only one type of motherboard that works with a case and most processors are embedded on the motherboard. Upgrades aren't possible apart from RAM.

The reason I don't ever recommend gaming on a laptop. Gaming laptops are expensive (usually 1300+ USD).

barto

Expert
Ambassador
USAFRet pretty much said all. You can't simply buy a random laptop motherboard and throw it in the case. Pretty much all laptops are one and done with parts. Meaning there is only one type of motherboard that works with a case and most processors are embedded on the motherboard. Upgrades aren't possible apart from RAM.

The reason I don't ever recommend gaming on a laptop. Gaming laptops are expensive (usually 1300+ USD).

Solution

man5000000

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Yeah, I just finished building a PC , and realized how much of a rip off everything for a laptop is, when I can build a more powerful desktop easier.