Builing new system - Watching cable TV question.

lucky0no

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your help and information so far!!

I almost have everything for my system, I just need a few more parts.

I'm debating over purchasing windows xp media center edition. I would like to be able to watch cable tv on my computer, with the ability to pause and rewind.

This is my question...

I do not have a cable internet connection, I have DSL. What kind of hardware would I need to be able to watch cable TV on my computer?

Is there anything I could purchase that would allow me to plug in the cable tv into the computer so it would work with windows xp media ed.?

Appreciate any responses!

Santino

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
if your looking to wtach tv than you should really get windows xp media center edition. if you already have the cable box, then all you really need is to buy a TV Tuner card, or a graphics card with a built in TV tuner, like the AIW cards from ATI.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You don't need MCE, just get XP Pro or Home and a video-in card (maybe your graphics card has VIVO?) and plug the cable box into that - you'll be able to use the cable remote for changing channel, and then point the software at the right channel and set it to fullscreen or whatever's your bag.

lucky0no

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Thanks for the responses...

I dont have digital cable (no cable box) Just the regular cable tv.

If I purchased a TV tuner, would it work if I plugged the tv cable into the Antenna slot?

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Thanks for the responses...

I dont have digital cable (no cable box) Just the regular cable tv.

If I purchased a TV tuner, would it work if I plugged the tv cable into the Antenna slot?

Yes,,, as long as the input to your video/tvtuner//computer is a bnc,standard cable coax.....enjoy :)