[SOLVED] Built a new computer, but get no display

Cestral

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
I built a new computer but something is wrong and I can't figure out what it is. Since I bought everything in pieces from different places, I have no specific store to turn to.

When I turn on the computer, all the case fans start and I can hear the hard drives ticking, but I get no picture. The monitor doesn't respond whatsoever.

I have built a few computers in my life and haven't had an issue before.

I have tried with two different video cards, switched monitors, switched display cables, and all power cables appear to be connected properly at both ends (CPU/GPU/Mobo/PSU). I have also re-seated the RAM sticks, and they are placed in the correct slots according to my motherboard manual.

These are the components I use:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
RAM: G.Skill Flare (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W

I have no idea what could be wrong and I'm starting to think it's a RAM or CPU issue, but that's just a guess. I'm stuck and I have no other components that I could switch out. Any ideas?

Solution
What graphics card do you have? The Ryzen 3600 does not have on-board graphics so you would need a graphics card in order to get a display.

-Wolf sends

Cestral

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
I would follow each and every step in this guide first - even if you have done them previously (a triple check never hurts): https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Thank you. I will look through that.

What graphics card do you have? The Ryzen 3600 does not have on-board graphics so you would need a graphics card in order to get a display.

Like I stated, I have tried with 2 different video cards. An old GTX 670 and a GTX 1070 that I moved from the computer I'm typing this on.

Cestral

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Just wanted to give an update. I have resolved the issue and there were actually two hardware problems.

I found that the motherboard had signal lights for any issues found. It signaled that there was a RAM issue. So I tried the RAM-sticks separately, and with the first stick it kept pointing at the RAM being the issue, but when I put in the other stick it would point to the video card instead.

So when I switched video card (again) then it booted up! So apparently I have one faulty RAM-stick and a broken video card. That sucks, but at least now I know what the problem is, and the RAM is new so I can get that replaced.

Thanks for the advice.