built a new PC, power doesn't come on

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Hi guys,

I just finished putting together a computer for a friend, but the power doesn't come on. I triple checked everything. The front panel switch is plugged in and the motherboard light comes on when I flip the switch on the power supply. Correct me if I am wrong, if you plug in the power supply alone in the wall without any PC component connected to it, shouldn't it come on? I mean, shouldn't the fan spin up. The power supply fan doesn't even spin up. I switched the power cables, but still the power supply doesn't work. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong, if you plug in the power supply alone in the wall without any PC component connected to it, shouldn't it come on?

No, the psu needs a signal from the mobo and somekind of load to turn on. Connect a couple case fans or something to it and jam a paperclip between a green and black wire on the 24 pin connector. That should turn it on. If it doesnt power up then the psu is probably dead.

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I will try this, but if it doesn't work, any other suggestions? I bought a new power supply and it doesn't come on when I pug it alone into the wall. When I built a new system 3 years ago, this was how I tested the power supply. I plugged it into the wall alone and it did come on. Have things changed over the years that you need to jump start them?

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
do you open up the paper clip and put the points of each end inside slot where the black and green wire is? do you leave it in as the machine is powered on, when do you take it out. I tried the paper clip on both power supply and neither work. the power supply does not power on. The mother board light up with both. could the front panel connectors be damaged?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, stick one end in each slot. You shouldnt be able to turn the computer itself on at all though, since the paper clip would prevent you from inserting the 24 pin cable into the mobo.

atx-power-bypass.jpg

See? You REALLY shouldnt be able to connect the 24 pin cable to the mobo when the paper clip is in place. If you did somehow how manage to do it... Wow.

You don't take it out until you want to shut the psu off.

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I would like to thank all you guys for reading and responding. Using the same two power supplies, we used a new case and the system started up without a problem. I guess the 2 case fans on the other case were not working. Interesting enough, right after I finished with the new computer, the psu on my current unit died, just like that. Used the computer the night before, then went to check my e-mail the next morning and the PC won't come on.

Thank you all once again.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I would like to thank all you guys for reading and responding. Using the same two power supplies, we used a new case and the system started up without a problem. I guess the 2 case fans on the other case were not working. Interesting enough, right after I finished with the new computer, the psu on my current unit died, just like that. Used the computer the night before, then went to check my e-mail the next morning and the PC won't come on.

Thank you all once again.

please remember, there are TWO ON SWITCHES on a pc. there is the one on the front panel, there is ALSO the on switch on the power supply. be sure you have BOTH of them on.

i actually had a "duurr" moment a while ago with a new build, put everything together, turned the psu switch on, and nothing.

it actually took me 20 mins to realize that i hadn 't turned the pc power switch on. oduurrrrr...

you may be doing the reverse, turning on the pc power but forgettting the power supply power switch.

it's possible.

Valis