Question Built budget pc in 2016. Want to upgrade on the budget again!

pkim1230

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
Hi. I'm not a big gamer, and just want to be able to play RDR2 on medium quality. I am open to buying used parts to upgrade my pc, and I don't want to spend more than $300. Here's what I have currently :

-GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 WINDFORCE OC 2GB GV-RX460WF2OC-2GD

-GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2V (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

-ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro - Compact Multi-Compatible Tower CPU Cooler | 92 mm PWM Fan | for AMD AM4 and Intel 115x CPU | Recommended up to 115 W TDP

-Intel i5-4460 cpu

Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

I have 8 gb of RAM and windows 7.

What can I upgrade with only $300 to make my computer "better" in general? I am open to buying used parts.
im leaning towards getting a 1070 ti, but will RDR2 run smoothly on medium settings? I also want to mention that I want to play on a 21:9 monitor 34 inch. No need for better CPU?

Last edited:
Hi. I'm not a big gamer, and just want to be able to play some games on medium quality. I am open to buying used parts to upgrade my pc, and I don't want to spend more than $300. Here's what I have currently :

-GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 WINDFORCE OC 2GB GV-RX460WF2OC-2GD

-GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2V (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

-ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro - Compact Multi-Compatible Tower CPU Cooler | 92 mm PWM Fan | for AMD AM4 and Intel 115x CPU | Recommended up to 115 W TDP

-Intel i5-4460 cpu

What can I upgrade with only $300 to make my computer "better" in general? I am open to buying used parts.
You left out a few things:
  • brand and model of power supply
  • monitor resolution and refresh rate
  • case brand and model
  • memory speed and how many GB
  • windows version
Going by the limited info you provided, you might be able to install a new GTX 1650 Super for about $175 which would probably double your current graphics performance. We need to make sure you have a decent power supply, that's not too old, before spending money on anything.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020
We are in a very similar situation, I also built a gaming PC with only used parts(other than PSU) at around 2016, but I have had enough BS with used parts and the core components of my next pc is going to be new.

Although I think it's time you get a completely new rig, with a $300 budget I think you should just upgrade the graphics card. Your graphics card is clearly the weakest part of your rig and a better one will bring the biggest improvement when it comes gaming and since the socket is not changing any time soon you don't have to worry about it getting obsolete and not being supported by newer motherboards in the future.

Let's say you spend $200 on a GTX 1070 or 1660 (I don't really know the price), you are left with $100, which you WILL spend on a 1TB SSD which will bring a smile to your face when you see how fast your system boots and how fast your games load.

pkim1230

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
You left out a few things:
  • brand and model of power supply
  • monitor resolution and refresh rate
  • case brand and model
  • memory speed and how many GB
  • windows version
Going by the limited info you provided, you might be able to install a new GTX 1650 Super for about $175 which would probably double your current graphics performance. We need to make sure you have a decent power supply, that's not too old, before spending money on anything.

Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

I have 8 gb of RAM and windows 7.

Thank you!

We are in a very similar situation, I also built a gaming PC with only used parts(other than PSU) at around 2016, but I have had enough BS with used parts and the core components of my next pc is going to be new.

Although I think it's time you get a completely new rig, with a $300 budget I think you should just upgrade the graphics card. Your graphics card is clearly the weakest part of your rig and a better one will bring the biggest improvement when it comes gaming and since the socket is not changing any time soon you don't have to worry about it getting obsolete and not being supported by newer motherboards in the future.

Let's say you spend $200 on a GTX 1070 or 1660 (I don't really know the price), you are left with $100, which you WILL spend on a 1TB SSD which will bring a smile to your face when you see how fast your system boots and how fast your games load.

1070 and large ssd sounds great. Just needed to know if it will work with my motherboard. Thank you!

pkim1230

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
im leaning towards getting a 1070 ti, but will RDR2 run smoothly on medium settings? I also want to mention that I want to play on a 21:9 monitor 34 inch. No need for better CPU?

pkim1230

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
I just got 1070 ti and i'm installing the driver now. I'm going to try how GTA5 runs and then purchase RDR2 when there's a sale. I also decided to get a some used mobo and cpu and memory:
  • i5 8500 3.0Ghz
  • Gigabye H310M HD3 2.0
  • Samsung 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T-UA2-11
  • Samsung 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-UA2-11
The two memory sticks are different from one another. Is that ok?