Built in computer

Nov 26, 2018
Pretty strange question, I know, but has anyone here built their system into a desk. After messing around with my last build, I saw a video for someone that had skipped the case and built it directly into a desk. Got me thinking as I can put everything I want or need exactly where I want it and don't have to worry about finding space for secondary equipment. A 8 port USB hub directly built into the desktop, another 8 port built into the front of the desk. The blue ray dvd as well as two hot slot had drive racks scavenged from an old case, the motherboard set up with the rear ports accessible at the rear or side of the desk, wires "hidden" due to the dark desktop with lights highlighting what I want seen.

Only one problem, can anyone who's done so bring up any issues they've run into? Currently thinking of taking a on the market smoked glass top desk to do the build if it is feasible as the glass is easy enough to take off for maintenance/upgrades. Only real issues I can come up with are dust issues and heat issues. Any other issues I should think about before embarking on the project?

Lutfij

Titan
It's actually a bad idea. If you're someone who lives in a dirty/dusty environment then it's a nightmare to clean. If you look at a computer desk with respect to ergonomics, it's a total failure. YouTube videos make for great show and tell and they don't document what it means to own one and maintain it every day. I'd ask you to settle with a chassis that is as small as possible.

You will also need to work with tempered glass as the top since regular glass can and will break if you have a habit of raging. They also are very messy when you do cut your hands after a rage session.

I/O, connectivity and PCI-e riser cables will also pose as a challenge. You also might want to draw up how much you eventually spend on the project to make it look nice.

Moved thread from PC Gaming to Systems.

Nov 26, 2018

What I was thinking of doing was, since the glass top is removable, adding a fabric seal on the bottom of the glass top to seal it off from outside contact and the holes I create for fans on the side, back, and for the power supply to have removable filters before they draw air in (from the outside to make it easier) as well as seal in the exposed drives and ports to limit dust. Figured dust would be another issue but a minor one if planned for properly. As to rage sessions, not much of an issue as I don't sit at the desk I use. Got into the large screen tv's for a computer monitor fad and using a 55" 4k tv at the moment. Desk basically gets used as a holding station and when I get on, I move over to the couch as I ran extensions there and sit 10' back.

As to budget, currently looking at 280 on the desk (still waiting for a reply on how "deep" the space between the top of the desk and the bottom shelf. Probably another $50 on wood and paint, 20 or so on sealing materials, and $80 on 4 high CFM fans with removable filters. That, and about 10-15 hours measuring, cussing myself out for not planning enough space, finally cutting, then gluing and securing the boards in place before I can even put any electronics into it.