[SOLVED] built-in motherboard wi-fi (Asus ROG Strix X570-E) versus PCI-E wi-fi card

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I have an Asus ROG Strix X570-E with built-in wi-fi 6.

Is it worth investing in a PCI-E wi-fi card? I was looking at something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01H9QMOMY?tag=pcp0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

However, some downsides are that it is wi-fi 5 and does not have bluetooth (as compared to the built-in modules in my motherboard).

Then there is this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-PCE-AX58BT-Next-Gen-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B07XLP199J

It is wifi-6 and has built-in bluetooth, however, it looks smaller and (I don't understand wireless connectivity so I sound very stupid) and it just seems weaker. Two antennas versus the four on the wifi-5 card...

I don't understand anything when it comes to wi-fi so hopefully someone can educate me. Is the built-in wi-fi in my motherboard good as is? Or is it worth upgrading? This is for gaming by the way (and no, ethernet is not possible).

EDIT - I am aware wi-fi limitations are set by my modem/router. The modem I use also acts as my router.

Out of the built-in motherboard as well as two PCI-E wi-fi cards, which is my best option? Consider the modem I am using right now as well as potential upgradability factors in the future. Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
So do you have coax tv cable near your pc. The router you have has built in moca. If you can buy a moca adapter and connect it to the coax you can get 1gbit. This will be almost as good as a ethernet cable.

All wifi is going to be a poor choice for gaming. All is subject to interference from your neighbors and other things which will cause random lag spikes in games. Faster download speeds make no difference, games use very little maybe 1mbps. They need consistent latency which is impossible on wifi because of how it is designed.

The wifi 6 in your machine and in the pcie card you list are exactly the same chipset so they will perform the same. Maybe the extended antenna might help a bit.

The wifi5 card might be...
So do you have coax tv cable near your pc. The router you have has built in moca. If you can buy a moca adapter and connect it to the coax you can get 1gbit. This will be almost as good as a ethernet cable.

All wifi is going to be a poor choice for gaming. All is subject to interference from your neighbors and other things which will cause random lag spikes in games. Faster download speeds make no difference, games use very little maybe 1mbps. They need consistent latency which is impossible on wifi because of how it is designed.

The wifi 6 in your machine and in the pcie card you list are exactly the same chipset so they will perform the same. Maybe the extended antenna might help a bit.

The wifi5 card might be faster. What is kinda strange is the routers with modems tend to have lower end wifi. The one you have actually supports things like 4x4 mimo as well as the MoCA. The wifi5 card you list is also 4x4 so it can attempt to use this feature, it requires very strong signal to get 4x4 to work well

First wifi6 is already obsolete. wifi6e is the newest tech and you should never try to buy stuff for the future when then change so much.

So your current wifi6 will connect with your router only using 2x2 mimo. This generally is fast enough for most people. You should see between 200-300 rates if you have good signal. If you were to replace the card with the wifi5 card you list you might get 350 or a bit more. No way to predict since your house makes a huge difference.

Solution

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021

The wifi5 card might be faster. What is kinda strange is the routers with modems tend to have lower end wifi. The one you have actually supports things like 4x4 mimo as well as the MoCA. The wifi5 card you list is also 4x4 so it can attempt to use this feature, it requires very strong signal to get 4x4 to work well

First wifi6 is already obsolete. wifi6e is the newest tech and you should never try to buy stuff for the future when then change so much.

So your current wifi6 will connect with your router only using 2x2 mimo. This generally is fast enough for most people. You should see between 200-300 rates if you have good signal. If you were to replace the card with the wifi5 card you list you might get 350 or a bit more. No way to predict since your house makes a huge difference.

Hello, thanks for all this information.

I do not have a coax tv cable and am unsure what it plugs into,
ACW102.jpg

I have one of these next to my computer. Would this fit a coax tv cable? What would I need to utilize MoCA (i.e. what adapter would I need? any recommendations?)

Also, on an unrelated note, if I decide to go the route with the Wifi 5 card, will I still be able to use the bluetooth on my motherboard?

I am pretty sure you can use just the bluetooth function.

That is a coax jack. Now in theory at least all these jacks are connected together with a splitter or something. This greatly depends on your house. Some houses these all run to a central panel and others they are daisy chained. I would first pull the panel and make sure the is a cable connected to the back.
Before you spend money I would see if you can figure out how the cables in your house are connected. In most cases it is just simply plug the moca adapter in and sync it with the router and network comes out the ethernet port on the moca adapter almost like magic.

One of the most popular moca devices is made by gocoax. You should be able to get it for about $60. Although these are moca 2.5 they will function with your router. Your router runs bonded 2.0 moca. You should easily get 900mbps.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I am pretty sure you can use just the bluetooth function.

That is a coax jack. Now in theory at least all these jacks are connected together with a splitter or something. This greatly depends on your house. Some houses these all run to a central panel and others they are daisy chained. I would first pull the panel and make sure the is a cable connected to the back.
Before you spend money I would see if you can figure out how the cables in your house are connected. In most cases it is just simply plug the moca adapter in and sync it with the router and network comes out the ethernet port on the moca adapter almost like magic.

One of the most popular moca devices is made by gocoax. You should be able to get it for about $60. Although these are moca 2.5 they will function with your router. Your router runs bonded 2.0 moca. You should easily get 900mbps.

Just to make sure I don't pull the panel unnecessarily, if I previously ran a television using that coax jack, does that mean there is a cable connected to it?

Or should I be pulling the panel to check for a cable regardless if I have previously ran a television or not.