[SOLVED] built-in windows 10 system image function

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I can see that there is something about backup and restore within the control panel. I'd like to know if they are the same as other third-party software for creating system image?

Solution
The windows backup and restore is only good for rolling back from a bad driver install etc if the operating sysyem is still bootable.
Not true.
Windows System Image creates image on whole OS drive.
You can boot from windows installation media and restore your system drive from saved System image.

3rd party tools are way more convenient and have more configuration options available though.
No, 3rd party software allows complete system image reinstall from usb in the event of some catastrophic failure that stops the system from even booting.

The windows backup and restore is only good for rolling back from a bad driver install etc if the operating sysyem is still bootable.

Still very useful just not 'as' useful or comprehensive.

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
No, 3rd party software allows complete system image reinstall from usb in the event of some catastrophic failure that stops the system from even booting.

Still very useful just not 'as' useful or comprehensive.

I often need to reinstall windows 10 because it's getting lagged and not responsive
over time, but I cannot see any significant reason behind e.g. infected with virus, as
a result I need to do a clean re-installation once or twice in a year and I do not want
to go through the process. I'd like to create an image when the windows is just freshly installed, so the next time I can just go back to the "new" windows easily and quickly. Can I just use the built-in function?

Not true.
Windows System Image creates image on whole OS drive.
You can boot from windows installation media and restore your system drive from saved System image.

3rd party tools are way more convenient and have more configuration options available though.

Solution