Built my first computer, it will not boot up though?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Joe wrote:
> Because there are no generic SATA drivers just like there are no generic
> audio drivers. The driver has to be for the chipset.

Well, there's no world peace either, but that doesn't mean we can't want
that. ;)

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
.... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
them talk you through which files to copy from the
CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
floppy disk for the SATA.

johns

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:31:19 -0500, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>Joe wrote:
>> Hey now you are not wrong but don't be so hard on the dude. I learned this
>> the hard way myself. I had built around 30 computers when I built my first
>> with a SATA boot drive. Now I was not stuck without a floppy as I was
>> putting one in anyway but I was confused and it took me a while to figure
>> out what to do. What had me stuck was after reading the MOBO manual it said
>> install the drivers from the SILxxx floppy and I got no floppy with my
>> motherboard. I did not know I had to either download from their website or
>> copy from the CD that came with the board the drivers and make my own SATA
>> floppy. That would have been helpful information to put in the manual.
>
>Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver floppy.
>
>When I upgraded my mobo recently, it came with SATA connectors and SATA
>drivers on a floppy. I still use IDE drives, so I haven't been faced
>with the SATA install problem yet.

It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
driver.

Joe

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

> It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
> software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
> booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
> least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
> driver.

Agreed it would be domething simple like when you are string to install a
fresh install from an XP upgrade disk and have to eject the XP upgrade disk
to let it verify the 98 disk.

Joe

"Joe" <notgiven@bogus.com> wrote in message

> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote
>

>> Agreed. IMHO all SATA drives should come with the necessary driver
>> floppy.
>
> Ahhh... no. The drivers are not specific to the hard drive they are
> specific to the SATA controllers in the mobo or SATA card and those should
> come with the floppy.
>
> Joe

I think what is nesscary is all mobo makers to include the flopp disk with
new motherboards, some makers do. But most don't.

I always read everything i can before building and make all the nesscary
floppy disks and download all the latest drivers for everything, as normally
the one's that come with the mobo are old.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> I did
> not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
> people that I would not need one.

Numerous people don't know very much.

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
>>

> Apollo, it is not letting me boot from the CD, so I'm not sure
> if that is going to work????

I apologise, as others have said it seems like you need to install
a different CD / DVD drive too, temp or perm to get around the
problems. The steps I outlined are still valid but with a drive
that you can boot from.

HTH

--
Ian

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Johns,

How do you switch from IDE 0 to IDE 1?

"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
> Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
> I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
> you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
> only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
> that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
> make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
> install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
> ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
> them talk you through which files to copy from the
> CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
> and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
> floppy disk for the SATA.
>
> johns

Dee

David Mills wrote:
> Johns,
>
> How do you switch from IDE 0 to IDE 1?
>
> "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
>
>>Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
>>I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
>>you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
>>only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
>>that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
>>make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
>>install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
>>... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
>>them talk you through which files to copy from the
>>CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
>>and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
>>floppy disk for the SATA.
>>
>>johns

I beg to differ with you!

I built a computer for my wife and in it I installed 1 SATA hard drive,
1 DVD-RW on IDE0 Master and 1 Travan 4 tape drive on IDE1 Master.

The system has been working without problem for almost 9 months now!

Dee

johns wrote:

> Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
> I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
> you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
> only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
> that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
> make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
> install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
> ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
> them talk you through which files to copy from the
> CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
> and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
> floppy disk for the SATA.
>
> johns

Your information is A.F.U.!

My wife's computer has 1 SATA hard drive, 1 DVD-RW on IDE0 Master and 1
Travan4 tape drive on IDE1 Master. This has work without problems for
almost 9 months!!!

Dee

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
>
>>Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
>>I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
>>you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
>>only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
>>that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
>>make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
>>install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
>>... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
>>them talk you through which files to copy from the
>>CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
>>and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
>>floppy disk for the SATA.
>>
>>johns

A single SATA does not have to be on SATA 0! The plugs on my wifes
board were mis-labeled and I installed the drive on the second channel
not knowing better at the time. I was able to install Windows XP
Professional with no problems. Since it didn't seem to hurt anything, I
just left it there and it's been working like that for almost 9 months!!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have an ASUS P4P800 with Intel SATA. I have insyalled WinXP Pro through
several iterations of SATA disk upgrade and never loaded a SATA driver
until I installed an Adapteec SATA Raid controller so I now rune a RAID 1
on native Intel
SATA and raid 0 on the Adaptec.

> Johns,
>
> How do you switch from IDE 0 to IDE 1?
>
> "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message
>> Yep. I know what the problem is ... couple of things.
>> I suspect you have the CD on ide 0. In a system where
>> you are going to use the SATA controller, you can
>> only put the ide devices on ide controller 1. First do
>> that. Then .. physically install your SATA drive, and
>> make darn sure it is on SATA controller 0. Then ..
>> install your new floppy drive ( go get one ). And then
>> ... call the vendor where you got your mobo, and have
>> them talk you through which files to copy from the
>> CD to the floppy. Boot the system with your XP cd,
>> and as it starts hit F6 to load the drivers from the
>> floppy disk for the SATA.
>>
>> johns

David,
You could also go to www.bootdisk.com and download the floppy disks and use
that option for booting and installing XP. It might be a better option than
buying another CD drive.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In message <ntdju0dr0ihi85fbd3924a416dhk7vk3uv@4ax.com> kony
<spam@spam.com> wrote:

>It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
>software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
>booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
>least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
>driver.

There are a couple things Microsoft could do to the installer that would
solve this problem instantly.

1) Check every visible disk drive the installer can recognize.
2) Use BIOS calls to check every available disk drive.
3) Allow the user to burn the drivers to CD and swap CDs
4) Allow the user to slipsteam the drivers on to the CD.

My biggest annoyance was the fact that I can boot from a USB drive or a
flash drive (and install WinXP from there), and the installer can
definitely use the USB drives two minutes later in the partitioning
screen, so it's annoying that it can't bother to look on those drives
(which the installer CAN see) for drivers.

I don't like the floppy myself, I use various flash media cards as
alternatives whenever possible and the whole concept of having to
purchase a floppy just to install Windows is annoying, but it's a
worthwhile investment of $20 at this point.

--
A cheap shot is a terrible thing to waste.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:43:22 -0700, DevilsPGD
<devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <ntdju0dr0ihi85fbd3924a416dhk7vk3uv@4ax.com> kony
><spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>It'd be a whole lot easier if MS would just fix their
>>software. IMO, there is no excuse for an OS that can start
>>booting from a drive but then "lose" itself. At the very
>>least they could've allowed alternate sources for the
>>driver.
>
>There are a couple things Microsoft could do to the installer that would
>solve this problem instantly.
>
>1) Check every visible disk drive the installer can recognize.
>2) Use BIOS calls to check every available disk drive.
>3) Allow the user to burn the drivers to CD and swap CDs
>4) Allow the user to slipsteam the drivers on to the CD.
>
>My biggest annoyance was the fact that I can boot from a USB drive or a
>flash drive (and install WinXP from there), and the installer can
>definitely use the USB drives two minutes later in the partitioning
>screen, so it's annoying that it can't bother to look on those drives
>(which the installer CAN see) for drivers.
>
>I don't like the floppy myself, I use various flash media cards as
>alternatives whenever possible and the whole concept of having to
>purchase a floppy just to install Windows is annoying, but it's a
>worthwhile investment of $20 at this point.

Yes it would be very nice if we could convert to flash
gracefully. It meets the primary requirement of being
cheap, both for reader and media, providing one is content
with a few dozen MB of flash memory rather than a few GB,
but then we are talking about a floppy replacement rather
than a HDD replacement. I suppose for the cleanest
transition it would help if the flash reader operating from
(and emulated) a floppy drive, such that all the legacy
utilities just wrote to it with no complaints.

Backing up a bit, surely this isnt' even necessary for the
purpose of getting WinXP to boot. Unless I misunderstand
the situation they could set a variable for the boot drive,
then when control is handed off to WinXP during the boot
process, a simple continuance of the same bios-based drive
enumeration would be used until XP can make it's own drive
ID.