[SOLVED] Built my first PC. What temp should my CPU be?

May 6, 2021
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core processor seems to have an average temp that is anywhere from 44C to 51.8C when at an idle performance cap. I got the averages by comparing Ryzen Master (44C), TechPowerUp GPU-Z 2.38.0 (51.4C), and CPUID HWMonitor (47-55C). I am wondering if these are normal temperatures for when running idle, if there is a better way to find out what the temperature the CPU is at than these programs, and if there is anything else I should know when it comes to my CPU or build in general?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory

Solution
I just google it. 95C. It seems most chips are the 90-100C. As you know if it gets too hott it should shut off. We have about 5+ threads a week on CPU temps. Everyone is always worried if their PC isn't running at 15C even though the room is 30C lol. Don't make a lot of sense to me. People need to game more and worry less :)

Here is another thread (you can search the forums too)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-are-good-temps-for-a-ryzen-5-3600-under-load.3513090/#:~:text=The max temp on a Ryzen 3600 is 95C.

If a CPU is working as intended it will/should not go much above the it's thermal limit. It will instead throttle it's clock speeding, making the CPU perform worse.

So if your cooling can't keep...
May 6, 2021
Those temps are fine for that cpu. The important question is what is the temperature under full cpu load such as Cinebench.
Thank you. I downloaded Cinebench and am running it. According to TEch PowerUP GPU-z the average CPU temp is 94.7C. Ryzen Master is stating it is hitting 95C, the temp Limit. Ryzen Master is also stating that the EDC (CPU) is at 90% of 90A, although I don't know what that means.

Cinebench gave a score of 8345 which, referring to their ranking, matches with their Benchmark for my cpu. I am guessing the temps hitting their maxes is normal considering they hit their max during the stress test which was designed to put them to the max anyway. Please let me know if I am interpreting this all correctly.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021
What cooler are you using? That temperature is too high, ideally you want it to stay under 80c but no more than 85c.
The cooler would just be the 3 fans that came with the tower and the fan attached to the CPU. I have little to no knowledge on coolers. Any suggestions on where to look/what to look for?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I just google it. 95C. It seems most chips are the 90-100C. As you know if it gets too hott it should shut off. We have about 5+ threads a week on CPU temps. Everyone is always worried if their PC isn't running at 15C even though the room is 30C lol. Don't make a lot of sense to me. People need to game more and worry less :)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr.../#:~:text=The max temp on a Ryzen 3600 is 95C.

Reactions: plebianvillager

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Is the Ryzen Master program an okay way to find out what the thermal max (temp limit) is, or is there a more accurate way?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600
Max Temps 95°C

Just like sizzling said, 95°C temperature is too high .

I suggest download msi afterburner and the addon called riva tuna statistics server, then you can see your FPS, GPU temp and CPU temp when playing games or running any fullscreen programm.
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Your CPU should be max 85°C on 100% load, higher temps will shorten its lifetime.

Another usefull programm for checking temps would be HW monitor.

You should try finding a compatible TOWER or WATER COOLER for you CPU.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-are-good-temps-for-a-ryzen-5-3600-under-load.3513090/#:~:text=The max temp on a Ryzen 3600 is 95C.

If a CPU is working as intended it will/should not go much above the it's thermal limit. It will instead throttle it's clock speeding, making the CPU perform worse.

So if your cooling can't keep the temp lower than 95, you will most likely get thermal throttling which will make you CPU perform worse. Tho you mentioned that they score you got in cinebench is in line with what your cpu should get, indicates that you probably don't get that much throttling (if any). I guess your CPU is right on the limit of throttling.

Also as mentioned, a high temp might shorten the lifetime of the chip (tho I'm no expert at that).

I think most things have been mentioned in this thread. If you want to test your CPU:s cooling capability, cinebench multicore is a good way to do so, I personally would not be comfortable if I was around the CPU:s thermal limit in that test (95c+). But I would also, as mentioned above, install MSI afterburner + riva tuner and monitor you CPU when doing the type of activities you normally do (for example if you game). When I push my CPU in normal circumstances it is usually when I game, and since games rarely push all your cores simultaneously, the temps I get are lower than that I get during the multicore test of cinebench.

Solution
The cooler would just be the 3 fans that came with the tower and the fan attached to the CPU. I have little to no knowledge on coolers. Any suggestions on where to look/what to look for?
Stock cooler for Ryzen 5 3600 (wraith stealth) is not very good. Get a better cpu cooler.

Some inexpensive options - Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo.

Reactions: alexbirdie