Built my first system, help needed

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hey guys, built my first system today.

I started getting a bit confused when after I had everything done inside the case, and I was connecting the front panel cables to the motherboard.

The power LED, system on, 1394, etc...

First question, is the 1394A and 1394 the same port/cable\?

hard hard do I have to push in to get these cables to stay in place? I had trouble with the HD audio and USB front panel cables, and the 1394, it wont stay in place, and I'm pushing it in (not overly too hard though, but enough force)

You match the postives with postive and negative with negative right?

My asus m4a79xtd EVO came with a "Q connector" which somewhat helped.

Well, let me boot up and see if it runs...* crosses fingers*

Solution
Yes.
hard hard do I have to push in to get these cables to stay in place? I had trouble with the HD audio and USB front panel cables, and the 1394, it wont stay in place, and I'm pushing it in (not overly too hard though, but enough force)
They're not very hard to push all the way in, but since they don't lock, they also aren't difficult to pull out.
This is important for the LEDs only. If they don't work one way, simply reverse them.
Yes.
They're not very hard to push all the way in, but since they don't lock, they also aren't difficult to pull out.
This is important for the LEDs only. If they don't work one way, simply reverse them.

Solution

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Oh man, GhislainG, thank you so much for responding and helping me out.

I appreciate it soo much.

We, this was my first build from scratch as stated above. It was an AMD Phenom II x4 965/ASUS M4A79XTD EVO/4GB GSKILL DDR3 1600/ATI VAPOR X 4890/Corsair 750w/Coolermaster RC690 build.

I ended up plugging everything in the best I could.

When I booted, the ASUS bios appeared, and the LED light on the MOTHERBOARD went to green (good) , as it booted , a weird message appeared....

It said..

*Adapter 1
*Hard disk not detected*

Well, I went into BIOS via delete and saw that it recognized my CPU, RAM, and then I went into the where the IDE and SATA are listed. The IDE's were blank (Im not using IDE) and the SATA I and SATA II were being used, and it recognized my 500gb Western Digital and my LiteOn optical drive on those two SATAS. Im plugged into the motherboard SATA I and SATA II.

I haven't installed an operating system yet; All I had was a repair windows 7 cd and it didnt work (I'm reusing the harddrive so Im assuiming its restoring the OS back to the old system specs)

Well Im going to buy Windows 7 tomorrow and see if this works.......