Built new computer, BSOD on boot

Dantheman1129

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I recently built a computer for a friend, using a core i5 3570k, g.skill sniper 8 GB of ddr3 ram, EVGA Gtx 560 DS, PC Power and Cooling 500w PSU, ASUS mATX z77 mobo, and a Cooler Master 212 Evo. He wanted to me take his hard drive from his old computer, with windows 7 installed, and put it into the system as the main drive. Unfortunately the computer now boots up to the "Starting Windows" screen, then freezes, and BSODs. I can load up the bios no problem, and the temps look fine (CPU at ~35°C), and the CPU voltage is at 1v. I think it may be crashing because the software wants to recognize the computer as the old computer that the Hdd used to be in, but I could be wrong. In addition, the windows failed start up screen comes up ("Windows failed to start. A recent hardware change may be the cause. Etc...") and when I hit "repair computer" the repair utility runs, but is not successful. Any advice?

Solution
The thing is that when you have a hard drive that was used on another computer and you want to use it on a different compute ,r the first thing it wants to see is the cpu and then the motherboard so you can actually get away with a different motherboard but the cpu is causing a problem. If you have the Windows disk you can try putting that in when you first boot up and set the first boot device as the dvd rom and see if you can do a windows repair with the cd.
The thing is that when you have a hard drive that was used on another computer and you want to use it on a different compute ,r the first thing it wants to see is the cpu and then the motherboard so you can actually get away with a different motherboard but the cpu is causing a problem. If you have the Windows disk you can try putting that in when you first boot up and set the first boot device as the dvd rom and see if you can do a windows repair with the cd.

Solution

Avesneakz

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Back up his data before trying any of this!

Easiest way to fix this is to clean install of Windows.

If your friend will not go for this, you can put the hard drive in the old computer, turn it on, go to control panel and remove the chipset drivers from Programs. Once those are removed, reboot, go to device manager, make sure that the SATA, sound, video and chipset controllers have a yellow (!) on them. If not, disable them and shut the system down. Take the hard drive out, put it in new machine, boot up, see if it blue screens. If it doesn't, install new drivers and run a registry cleaner to clear out the old devices. If it does, convince him that a new Windows installation is best. ;)