[SOLVED] Built new PC but see no performance increase.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello I upgraded from my old PC which was basically a MSI GTX 1080 ti, i5-10600k CPU, DDR4 3000. SeaSonic 650 W PSU Gold.

I upgraded everything, even my monitor. I now use this:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21706761

Everything I do, things run fine but I keep getting terrible stuttering in my games..
First I thought it was my RAM, I got 2 16GBs RAM sticks of 3600. It didnt help.

Then I got a faster storage device. I got an M2 drive. Load times are super fast but everything still stutters.

Then I thought it was my monitor, I got a 1920x1080p (sadly) 144 mhz GSync monitor the stuttering stayed but the frames are milky smooth.

I updated all drivers from my motherboards website, I updated my BIOS and my graphic drivers. I heard the old drivers were more stable and switched to that and it seemed to help but then as I lowered my drivers for my GPU I lost Gsync but w/e.

I am at a loss of what it could be. If anyone knows any tests I could run and share so someone could help me out that would be amazing. Sorry if this post lacks any info and turns you away but i'd love for someone to help me.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"First I thought it was my RAM, I got 2 16GBs RAM sticks of 3600."

Modules 1 and 2 -matched set (kit) for dual channel use?

Also: are you still using the Seasonic 650 watt PSU?

If you are overclocking the GPU the recommended PSU wattage is 750 watts.,

Without overclocking the recommended wattage is 650 watts.

Reference:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3070-3070ti/

Your system may not be able to meet some peak power demand(s).

Reactions: Raz_5_

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
This:

"First I thought it was my RAM, I got 2 16GBs RAM sticks of 3600."

Modules 1 and 2 -matched set (kit) for dual channel use?

Also: are you still using the Seasonic 650 watt PSU?

If you are overclocking the GPU the recommended PSU wattage is 750 watts.,

Without overclocking the recommended wattage is 650 watts.

Reference:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3070-3070ti/

Your system may not be able to meet some peak power demand(s).
My RAM is running on XMP they are set for dual channel use its the same kit. My CPU does have turbo on and goes up to 4.70 ghz its base clock is 3.60 Mhz and my GPU is not OC'd.

larsv8

Distinguished
Just an FYI, going from a 1080ti to a 3070 is not going to be a meaningful upgrade.

You should see a modest measurable increase in FPS, maybe 30 or so, but that is not going to be noticeable.

As far as jutter, looks like the only constants here are Mobo, case, cooler and power supply, so if you have gone through the other steps, like fresh OS / driver install, then the most likely culprit is the power supply, being unable to supply the power needed.

You can monitor your temperatures to see what you are hitting, but on a cooler, the fan is either working or it isn't. Unless you have massive dust build up or you are not installing the cooler correctly, its likely not a temperature issue. What case are you using? Is it one of those ovens with no air inlets?

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Just an FYI, going from a 1080ti to a 3070 is not going to be a meaningful upgrade.

You should see a modest measurable increase in FPS, maybe 30 or so, but that is not going to be noticeable.

As far as jutter, looks like the only constants here are Mobo, case, cooler and power supply, so if you have gone through the other steps, like fresh OS / driver install, then the most likely culprit is the power supply, being unable to supply the power needed.

You can monitor your temperatures to see what you are hitting, but on a cooler, the fan is either working or it isn't. Unless you have massive dust build up or you are not installing the cooler correctly, its likely not a temperature issue. What case are you using? Is it one of those ovens with no air inlets?
This is my rig,
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jpkfwz

I installed 5 fans in the case as well. 3 frontal intake fans. Then 1 fan on the back and 1 fan on top pushing the air out. I also bought my own PSU and replaced the one in the case. I ran a stress test and got up to 3% overheat at 98c within the first 5 seconds of the test and then it turned itself down to 65-70c. I'm guessing it did this to not damage my CPU? I also have the tempered glass panel off so lol. Not due to heat I just got lazy if I had get inside again.

larsv8

Distinguished
I think the most likely culprit is the power supply.

It is a 4 year old unit correct?

Seasonic has a 10 year warranty, so you could file an RMA and that should be a free try to fix the issue. It may not work, but it won't cost you anything but some PC downtime.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I think the most likely culprit is the power supply.

It is a 4 year old unit correct?

Seasonic has a 10 year warranty, so you could file an RMA and that should be a free try to fix the issue. It may not work, but it won't cost you anything but some PC downtime.
My PSU hasn't been used for any system till somewhat recently, i've probably used it for 6 months. Now my CPU is going up to 100% usage in my games and then dropping down to 20% and then back up to 100% and im not even "playing" im just standing still with the game paused. Im so confused lol and my GPU sits at like 70% unless I increase resolution to like 1440p in game, put render resolution to 200 and everything on extreme then I can get it up to like 84%.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Reactions: Raz_5_
Solution

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
"I ran a stress test and got up to 3% overheat at 98c within the first 5 seconds of the test and then it turned itself down to 65-70c. I'm guessing it did this to not damage my CPU?"

Yes. Your cooler is not enough or installed incorrectly. It's rated for 150 watts. Doesn't 11700k pull 200w+?
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake/2 200-300 W looks like. That puny cooler doesn't have a chance.
Yes I believe you're correct not only that but I also believe it's my PSU as well. I've noticed sometimes my monitor doesnt turn on but the entire system does and then I reboot it and everything boosts up fine but my case fans turn off their lights then. Seems like my computer is trying to tell me something lol.