[SOLVED] Built New PC - No Display - No Beep - No Post

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
as the title suggests - i recently built a new pc
i have compiled all the parts into the case and thought i was good to go

however, when i powered o initially the cpu drug light was on on b450 a pro and motherboard
after tinkering around a bit....the light turns on when i first power the pc. but then turns off and the vga light on motherboard lights up.
as stated. i get no beep. no post. no display.
i’m really hoping i have not done some crazy damage to something
also worth noting : peripherals are plugged in but unresponsive

here are the parts used
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d7w73t

Solution
It can be so frustrating. I pulled out an old PC yesterday to load on Windows 10 and couldn't get it to boot without making some changes. Very frustrating.

Glad you got all 4 sticks recognized. Are you installing windows on a new SDD? If so, it will go pretty quickly. Just to be safe, I always unplug the power to any other drive just to make sure it gets installed onto the drive I want. Also, you go to Microsoft to make the UEFI Windows installer. You will need a good 8 gb minimum thumb drive.

Paul has a good video on installing windows, but he made one error that he admitted in a later video. He should have selected UEFI file for booting.

View...

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
I doubt that this is it, but your memory is not on the motherboard's approved memory list. The GVK is approved but not the GVKC. But at least for the first boot up, the bios should have the memory set to 2133hz and the GVKC memory should work at that speed.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
Good point. You running your RAM in slots 2 & 4? Make sure they are pushed in good. Unplug all the drives except for the one you want to put windows on. You should do a clean install of Windows 10, but you can't do that unless we can at least get you to POST. Hang in there.

Another thing people say to try is just using 1 RAM stick in slot 2. If that doesn't work, try the other RAM stick. Sometimes you get bad RAM.

ryublue

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
i had this same issue on a build recently. it was the ram. we had 2 different types of ram. pulled and left only the 2 identical ram sticks and it booted.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
? i plugged video cable from motherboard into video card.and this popped up on the screen

"DEVICE CHANGED (CPU OR MEMORY) OR CMOS HAVE BEEN CLEARED. PLEASE ENTER SETUP OR CONFIGURE YOUR SYSTEM.
PRESS F1 TO RUN YOUR SETUP
PRESS F2 TO LOAD DEFAULT VALUES AND CONTINUE"

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
what do you mean by default settings?
i have launched into the bios - the mouse response time is extremely slow. and it only detects one of my HD's
and only have one stick of ram plugged in. (2nd slot)
That is good news. So go into your BIOS and load default settings to start with, then do a clean install of windows 10.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
what do you mean by default settings?
i have launched into the bios - the mouse response time is extremely slow. and it only detects one of my HD's
and only have one stick of ram plugged in. (2nd slot)

There should be an option in your bios that says "Load Default Settings" or something like that. Look around, you will find it. If the mouse is slow, use your arrows, enter, and escape keys to get around.

EDIT: I looked at my wife's msi B450 bios, it has "restore defaults" in the Save & Exit menu. Good luck.

Last edited:

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
ok. since i migrated from an old hd from my old pc
I have launched into windows (i will reinstall at a later time)
My next instinct is to reset....plug in 1 stick of ram and see if i can boot (until i determine how many if not al of them are faulty)
There should be an option in your bios that says "Load Default Settings" or something like that. Look around, you will find it. If the mouse is slow, use your arrows, enter, and escape keys to get around.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
Yes, sometimes this can cause problems even though they are the same. Have you thought about sending them back and get 2 16gb sticks. That way you have 2 slots for future expansion but you will still have 32gb of RAM now.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Also, try to keep the matching ones (that came together) in slots 1 & 3 and in slots 2 & 4.
ok. the problems started resolving after you told me to remove all but the second slot of ram
i have gotten into bios all of my hard drives are being read.
and after plugging the ram in one after another and booting into bios...they all aprear to be working?
now i just need to find out how to boot from the usb to re install windows and i think i am finished.
holy cow. you have been a saving grace.