[SOLVED] Built New PC - No Display - No Beep - No Post

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

liquidtruth

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
as the title suggests - i recently built a new pc
i have compiled all the parts into the case and thought i was good to go

however, when i powered o initially the cpu drug light was on on b450 a pro and motherboard
after tinkering around a bit....the light turns on when i first power the pc. but then turns off and the vga light on motherboard lights up.
as stated. i get no beep. no post. no display.
i’m really hoping i have not done some crazy damage to something
also worth noting : peripherals are plugged in but unresponsive

here are the parts used
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d7w73t

Solution
It can be so frustrating. I pulled out an old PC yesterday to load on Windows 10 and couldn't get it to boot without making some changes. Very frustrating.

Glad you got all 4 sticks recognized. Are you installing windows on a new SDD? If so, it will go pretty quickly. Just to be safe, I always unplug the power to any other drive just to make sure it gets installed onto the drive I want. Also, you go to Microsoft to make the UEFI Windows installer. You will need a good 8 gb minimum thumb drive.

Paul has a good video on installing windows, but he made one error that he admitted in a later video. He should have selected UEFI file for booting.

View...

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
It can be so frustrating. I pulled out an old PC yesterday to load on Windows 10 and couldn't get it to boot without making some changes. Very frustrating.

Glad you got all 4 sticks recognized. Are you installing windows on a new SDD? If so, it will go pretty quickly. Just to be safe, I always unplug the power to any other drive just to make sure it gets installed onto the drive I want. Also, you go to Microsoft to make the UEFI Windows installer. You will need a good 8 gb minimum thumb drive.

Paul has a good video on installing windows, but he made one error that he admitted in a later video. He should have selected UEFI file for booting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpqkiaO7q4

And here's Paul's video where he admitted his mistake and tells you how to do it properly:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURz-SSQUVY

And once everything is up and running properly, you will want to go into your BIOS and enable XMP for your memory. This will allow your memory to run at 3600.

EDIT: The only reason I was able to help was because after 9 years I just built myself and then my wife new computers (both R5 3600). It's amazing how much faster computers have gotten over 9 years.

Solution

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
By the way, you have a great build. Mine is pretty similar, B550 motherboards were not out yet, so I went with Gigabyte's X570 UD, an R5 3600X, RTX 2060 KO, but only 16gb of the G.Skill Ripjaws RAM.