Mobo: Asrock z390 extreme4
CPU: Intel I5 9600K
Memory: Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8gb) DDR4 3200
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 280
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80Plus
GPU: MSI RTX2070 Aero
Samsung EVO 970 M.2 500gb
Samsung EVO 960 SSD 500gb

Put my pc build together last night and turned it on. Display gets no signal and I get no power to the keyboard or mouse. I tried inserting the GPU into the PCI-E 4 and also using the mobo display but nada. I have tried using one stick of memory and checking both sticks in all slots. I have tried doing so with the gpu disconnected as well. Basically all the components are getting power, all fans work, the lights on the mobo turn on. I am literally out of ideas.

Side note: I did read apparently this mobo according to asrock forums shipped with a bios only for 8th gen, and you need a 9th gen bio update....but I thought all z390's were out of box ready for the 9th gen cpu's so I'm super confused and now frustrated.

Solution
Sorry but I have to ask, double check all cables including the CPU power, main motherboard, PCIe to GPU and the front panel headers as these even slightly wrong can cause issues. double and recheck every cable...Double apologies as I am sure you have done this a few times...

Secondly, the motherboard should have four small LED readouts somewhere that tell you whether it is having a problem with the CPU, RAM etc...Is there a fault code readout for this?

Also you seem to hit on a point with the BIOS as it needs apparently the BIOS version 1.80...ASRock just has not made things clear but all Z390 boards should automatically handle the 9600K....also people seem to be having a problem with this board.

Am I too assume that without the GPU...
Sorry but I have to ask, double check all cables including the CPU power, main motherboard, PCIe to GPU and the front panel headers as these even slightly wrong can cause issues. double and recheck every cable...Double apologies as I am sure you have done this a few times...

Secondly, the motherboard should have four small LED readouts somewhere that tell you whether it is having a problem with the CPU, RAM etc...Is there a fault code readout for this?

Also you seem to hit on a point with the BIOS as it needs apparently the BIOS version 1.80...ASRock just has not made things clear but all Z390 boards should automatically handle the 9600K....also people seem to be having a problem with this board.

Am I too assume that without the GPU you still cannot get into the BIOS with the Intel IGPU used via the back HDMI source on the motherboard?

finally you have an awfully cheap Power Supply for this setup and I would always go the Gold route for a setup like this...though saying that, you are okay at 500w but close...still that should not be the issue.

Solution
Dec 1, 2018
Mobo doesn't seem to have redouts anywhere only lights I see are from the RGB parts.

Cables have been quadruple checked.

Took the GPU out and still no power to peripherals or display signal

I just ordered a evga 650w gold certified on Amazon. ( Granted I doubt the one I have now is a prob) as well as a Asus Prime Z390-A both of which will be ere tomorrow. I honestly think it's a faulty Mobo....so guess I'll find out

Fingers crossed everything works out. I noticed on your motherboard, you have a A and B Bios, have you tried the other bios like B?

Dec 1, 2018

The Asrock Z390 I can't even get it to post so I can't get into any BIOs period.

Mar 12, 2019
Did you ever find a solution for this? I am in the same exact situation with the same z390 extreme4 and 9600k. I already tried all of the things you mentioned and also tried resetting the cmos. It's still not working...

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019
Motherboard are a common issue in this scenario, but it could be any factor depending on the situation. Your solution is likely different than his.
Hey thanks for the response. I understand that it may not be the same cause but I have the same issue and same Mobo/CPU combo so I was hoping it might give me another possible someone to look into. I don't know what else to try

Reactions: svesve
Mar 12, 2019
Same problem. The only differences: I have a 9900k (not a 9600k), PSU Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550. @LazyJab aliao3965 : Could you please, please, please report how you solved this problem?

I ended up talking with ASrock tech support and it turned out being one of the ram sticks not being fully seated (it was the one under the mammoth that is Dark Rock Pro 4)

hope you figure it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.