Built new PC, put in my old 1tb hdd, windows 7 starts then freezes and then blue screen.

HollisBassMasta

Reputable
Dec 26, 2016
So I just built a new PC. I plugged in my 1tb hdd from my previous PC, and now when it starts to boot up, it freezes on the Windows 7 logo for half a second, then flashes a blue screen. Then it restarts. Whenever it starts to boot up or if I press f8 it gives me two options: Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. If I select repair it doesn't do anything usefull and tells me it can't fix the problem automatically. If I select normally it does what I described with the blue screen and restart. This is really starting to annoy me as I have 800gb on that hdd and I can't use the PC I just built. I need some help.

Solution
If you have just taken the drive out of one pc and put it in another this is a typical type of problem. You need to reinstall Windows. Back up your data and then do a clean install. Also can you confirm your Windows is not an OEM copy, if it is OEM you will have a licence problem with a new motherboard
Is this problem you're experiencing with a HDD from another PC installed in your new PC as a SECONDARY drive? It's not supposed to function as a boot drive, is it?

Assuming you're planning to use it as a secondary drive for storage, backup purposes, etc., have you tested the disk with a HDD diagnostic program from the disk's manufacturer just to check that you're not dealing with a defective drive?

It's not uncommon that when an otherwise bootable system detects an installed defective secondary drive, the system will refuse to boot.

If you have just taken the drive out of one pc and put it in another this is a typical type of problem. You need to reinstall Windows. Back up your data and then do a clean install. Also can you confirm your Windows is not an OEM copy, if it is OEM you will have a licence problem with a new motherboard

Solution