Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi,

I just finished putting together a build with these specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Red Devil 5700XT
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8gb 3000MHz

I booted up Windows 10 off my USB and got to the desktop. I immediately noticed the cursor would sporadically freeze after 3-4s for a second, but sometimes it goes a little longer. The keyboard randomly works or doesn’t, and when it’s not working, the only key that works is the “E” key and what it prints out is some weird character that slightly resembles an E.

I have trouble opening up desktop icons, it’ll either freeze again or I’ll click one icon but it’ll open up the properties page of another. It’s super bizarre. Another issue is the cursor will also randomly slow down. It’s basically a litany of issues.

Overall it just seems like the entire OS is running poorly.

How would I even begin troubleshooting this?

Ty!

mnalette96

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
You say you "booted up Windows 10 off my USB", but you didn't actually install Windows or the proper motherboard drivers ?
Sorry, poor wording. I installed Windows 10 from my USB.
As for the drivers, I’ve downloaded some but I’m not sure if it’s all. I’m relatively new to this.

edit: I noticed some of the lag during the installation as well which is why I’m concerned it might be a deeper issue.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry, poor wording. I installed Windows 10 from my USB.
As for the drivers, I’ve downloaded some but I’m not sure if it’s all. I’m relatively new to this.

edit: I noticed some of the lag during the installation as well which is why I’m concerned it might be a deeper issue.
I am guessing you don't have an optical drive to use the included CD. The MSI website isn't working tonight so I don't know what drivers are available.