[SOLVED] Built pc wont Boot after shipping internationally

Aug 25, 2019
I built a pc for my friend and shipped it to Japan from USA, when it arrived it does not boot at all, the fans are not spinning for both the cpu cooler and system fans but the motherboard on board rgb is lit up, the RAM is non-RGB
Before shipping i made some tests:
a. overclocked it at 3.8Ghz stable
b. run some cinebench R15 at oc and it was stable
c. I ran prime95 for 30 minutes and it was stable
d. I ran Aida64 for 30minutes and it was stable
e. I played games Overwatch and pubg for 5 hours everyday for a week with good FPS and no problems
f. Windows 10 pro and put the power management settings to high performance

system specs for reference:
a. ryzen 5 1600
b. deepcool gammaxx 400 cpu cooler
c. 16gb ddr4 3000 (non-rgb RAMs)
d. asus TUF b450m pro gaming
e. 500gb samsung 860 evo
f. 1tb hdd
g. 600w evga psu (80 certified)
h. MSI RX580 4gb
i. thermaltake versa h17 (non-tg)
j. 2 intake 120mm fans and 1 exhaust 120mm fan at the back
my friend made some basic troubleshooting and still failed to BOOT

here are the troubleshooting done:
a. re seated the power cables on the motherboard, specifically the cpu power and the 24pin motherboard power, and storage power cables
b. re seated the RAM sticks and tested each by just plugging one by one the RAM sticks to test boot
c. cleared the cmos
d. changed the cmos battery
e. shorted the front panel pins' power switch
f. tested the psu via paperclip test and the psu was working fine

since my friend does not have extra spare parts to test on his system, we suspected that the either the CPU or motherboard has failed based on the tests made..

I am wondering if theres any more tests needed to be checked or should my friend send it to a professional to check it? (my friend is not pc enthusiast and just followed the guides i showed him from youtube and some other websites for basic troubleshooting)

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Solution
Most likely a damaged PSU to me. I believe those lights are on because they're powered by the standby rail on the PSU. The fans and everything else are powered by the normal PSU rails. I could be wrong. Since you said the PSU is fine, maybe it's just something that moved in shipping? Check all the cables, not just the PSU, they can become loose.
Most likely a damaged PSU to me. I believe those lights are on because they're powered by the standby rail on the PSU. The fans and everything else are powered by the normal PSU rails. I could be wrong. Since you said the PSU is fine, maybe it's just something that moved in shipping? Check all the cables, not just the PSU, they can become loose.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If I got that right, you assembled the PC, stuffed bubble wrap in the gaps, put the PC in the box the case came in, and sent it off like that?

Did you have 'fragile' labels put on the box? Well, even if you did, the package is still at the mercy of the people handling it.
The gpu's weight may have damaged the pcie slot it was sitting in - same deal with the cpu cooler sitting on the cpu.
It's recommended that you don't ship PC parts in this manner for this reason.

Aug 25, 2019
since my friend does not have any spare parts to test it out, the last thing we can do is to test if the mobo is grounded to the case and check if the cpu is damaged, after that we decided to get a professional help since my friend is not enthusiast.. Thanks for your help!

Aug 25, 2019
If I got that right, you assembled the PC, stuffed bubble wrap in the gaps, put the PC in the box the case came in, and sent it off like that?

Did you have 'fragile' labels put on the box? Well, even if you did, the package is still at the mercy of the people handling it.
The gpu's weight may have damaged the pcie slot it was sitting in - same deal with the cpu cooler sitting on the cpu.
It's recommended that you don't ship PC parts in this manner for this reason.
I declared to the usps that it is a pc and is fragile, she said that i should put insurance to it and so I did put insurance on it, and the usps told me that they put fragile notice on it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Try the barebones setup:
psu, cpu & cooler, 1x stick of ram, and mobo
[since this motherboard model does not have an on-board power switch, it's necessary to jumpstart the mobo with a screwdriver]

-Place the mobo on a box, or other anti-static surface, plug in the ram, mount cpu & cooler - check for bent or broken pins as well
-Plug in the psu, make the needed connections to the cpu and the mobo, and switch it on... the mobo should light up and stay that way. You already mentioned that the board lights up, so I'll skip the 'if it doesn't'.
-Find the power switch header for the front panel connectors on the board. These are normally labeled “PWR_SW,” “PWR_BTN”.
-Bridge the connections with the screwdriver, that should turn the PC on.

Now, does the boot led come on at all? Cpu? Ram?
Ignore the VGA, you're leaving it out for now.