[SOLVED] Built-up i5 4590S system, is it any good?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Hi all, I'd like an input for this system I found online. I'm looking to buy a simple PC for my cousin who just recently dived in into gaming. Currently he's playing on a 940MX laptop, and I honestly want to give him a better experience.

Some scouring net me this machine. Specs include :
  • Intel i5 4590S (?)
  • B85 motherboard
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 500 GB of HDD
  • Standard case
  • SEASONIC PSU YEAAHHHHHH 300W, with 6-pin (sorry I always get passionate everytime I deal with seasonic)
All for 220 AUD

Description says its a HP prebuilt. Now, I've tried to piece together a similarly-specced PC and I end up over the 220AUD I'd pay for this machine (B85 motherboard alone costs half of that machine). Now, is it a good deal? I'm thinking of throwing in a budget GTX 1050, which would make a very reasonable budget gaming PC (at least better than his 940MX thing). I do have a GTX 1060 lying around but I'm not so sure with that PSU. So, HP prebuilt, 220 AUD, good deal or nah? Is there any obvious downsides to this? Also, what's a 4590S anyway?

EDIT : I tried to insert an image but... I can't really do it, sorry. The pictured PC looks mid-tower, not one of those slim PCs.
Here's an image :
https://ibb.co/qW55s27

Last edited:
Solution
Unfrotunately no matter how much you pay for that system, it still won't allow you to drop in a discrete GPU in there without having to swap out the PSU to something that can deliver at least 450W for the entire system.

You're better off perhaps sourcing parts one by one or ask the seller to retain the PSU with a discount so you can drop in an aftermarket PSU. We will also need more information on the motherboard's make and model.

Lutfij

Titan
Unfrotunately no matter how much you pay for that system, it still won't allow you to drop in a discrete GPU in there without having to swap out the PSU to something that can deliver at least 450W for the entire system.

You're better off perhaps sourcing parts one by one or ask the seller to retain the PSU with a discount so you can drop in an aftermarket PSU. We will also need more information on the motherboard's make and model.

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Well unfortunately he sells it as one package, no parting of anykind whatsoever. Also, he hasn't say anything about the motherboard (he just said it's a B85). I've heard less-than-stellar things about HP prebuilts, so even my gut says it might be a bust. I'll get back later after he answered.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
After second thought, I decided not to bite. There are some considerations. The seller is quite tight-lipped whenever I ask about things. I asked a picture of the inside of the PC, says he couldn't because this and that. Alright then, what about the RAM? Is it single-channel or dual? No answer either. Not worth it.
Besides, I made a miscalculation yesterday, and turns out I can build a similarly-specced PC for just 10 AUD extra. A bit more money, but I would have a 4590 (instead of the lower-clocked S version), a motherboard form factor that I'm actually familiar with, brand-name PSU (450W at that too), and a case I actually like. More reasons not to pick that prebuilt.

Anyway, thanks for the input, really appreciate it.