[SOLVED] Buliding a Multimedia Machine

Sep 29, 2019
I tend to collect equipment and parts. Right now I have a case, and motherboard, Core i5 Processor in that motherboard. What I looking to build, is a small system, that I can plug consoles into, as well as perhaps host videos itself. As I was looking into this myself, it just seems Video Capture cards have come a long way since I last toyed with them. (Like 20+ years).

I'm obviously going to put money into the Sound Card.
I'm going to also do one of those prefab liquid cooling setups, not due to heat, but I have found they tend to reduce the noise from the computer, which I figure is important for a multi media machine.

Beyond that, I figure I would reach out for some advice on what I might be looking for to get the video into the Computer? How do those USB Capture Devices compare to internal Capture Cards? What do people recommend?

I have a number of consoles, which I would like to hook up to this. While no streaming is done or wanted to do at the moment, keeping the possibility open would be nice.

Also I'm certain Linux compatibility would also be important, but advice opinions on that would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
All I'm starting with

Asus PBH77-M Motherboard
Intel Core I5-3458

Various sticks small sticks of Ram 3 1 GB, 2 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB. Figure I will grab ram if this build is worth it.

Plus a Case that the board does fit into.

Sep 29, 2019
Part of the reason I'm asking for help is to be able to get some better ideas of the budget. I know I'm going to need a video card, and ram, and some form of capture card. Hoping the parts I do get will be Linux compatible as that would remove the cost of an OS.

So a starting ball park figure would be $500 to $750.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 2 GB LP Video Card ($83.96 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Custom: AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme 2, USB 3.0 Game Streaming and Video Capture, 4K Pass-Through, Full HD 1080p 60fps, Ultra Low Latency (GC551) ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $798.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-01 08:59 EDT-0400

This is overall better build suited for you. Bit above your max budget but lot better than working on that old i5 setup.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS