Bulldozer 40% - 50% faster than Sandy Bridge?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

They have too seeing as you need this "feature" when their GPUs die due to the contacts on their GPUs failing.

The 600 degrees remelts the contacts. Hurray nVIDIA!

ares1214

Splendid

Me thinks someone has hit their head falling off the cliff one too many times... :lol:

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Why Circuit City failed?

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1858079,00.html

Nothing to do with AMD prices.

FAIL again Baron.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Does that mean you disagree with the logic or did you just have to insult me? Now you can see why I never missed any of you.

Reynod, how'd I let you talk me into this...?

ares1214

Splendid

Let me put it this way. Intel is a business. Businesses want money. AMD is a business. Intel wants money. AMD wants money. They will both do just about anything to get more of it. Intel just happens to be better at getting money as of late. Whatever they did they did to make more money, spend more on research, and make a product that will beat the competition's product...so they can charge more money. And it seems to be working out pretty well for them. You say Intel undercut AMD to make more money, well its called competition, HELLO, welcome to capitalism.

I wouldn't be suprised if BD does well in synthetics. If we compare 4 core to 4 core it may change but this is technically a 8 core BD CPU even though not all of them are full cores so I would hope it would do better than a quad core with SMT in the synthetic gaming part.

I want to see real gaming benchmarks though.

Still considering the source and how close AMD has been playing this to home, I doubt it will be legit. We will really have to wait and see.

You might want to stop buying from pretty much every major company in the world. That includes Nike, Coke, Pepsi co, major fast food companies, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and even stop paying for internet service and cable TV. Also your cell phone. And you might want to look into who runs the company you look for because in the end, they are all evil. Even AMD. They love your wallets. No offense to JF-AMD, he is probably a great guy. But the goal of the company is to get you to buy their products.

And we have seen multiple ex AMD execs caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Its going to happen to the best of companies.

What else. Intel. He thinks buying from AMD is buying from the "good" people but he gets a tad mixed up.

Yea the 6970s were a tad dissapointing. I think people were expecting 3200 SP units, at least rumor was that. Its a nice card but not enough of a leap above the HD5K series to justify a upgrade (if you have a HD5850/5870)

And I think we have had a few Intel employees here before. Can't remember their names though.

I think if a person refutes pretty much any evidence that is done by thrid party sources showing that in the consumer end that intel has a performance lead, they are a AMD fanboy. Some people here even went on to use their own personal feelings when Phenom came out and fell flat on its face.

But hey. Personal opinions outweigh the hundreds of benchmarks done. Because Intel pays them all off...... :pfff:

Sure you can. And I can prove that AMD will be the company that helps to start the age of the Terminators while Intel will be the ones to provide the technology to us to fight them:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/satire-toms-hardware-news-reviews,7885.html

See? AMD is working on a Cyberdyne contract thats for AI in robots. The T-10 exists. Soon the Govenator will go back in time to kill those who oppose robots.

At least I back my crazy theories up with facts instead of saying I can but not posting anything.

It was actually Horrible management. I mean even when they were going out of business they wanted more money for parts than most every other company. They charged too much, had poor customer service and just didn't do things right.

But I guess the bad economy didn't hurt either. I guess they were all PC based in sales.... wait... no they weren't. They had everything Best Buy has. In fact they probably sold more of everything else than PCs.

I think you are too into conspiracies.

Well I missed your logical side but that seems to be dissipating really fast right now......

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

That's true. Even when the Athlon held the performance crown, people were still buying Intel and AMD was still number 2. Even though Netburst sucked, their fabrication process and marketing was strong. But nobody should fight about which company is bigger or better. Without AMD, Intel would have stopped trying to innovate and never come up with the Core 2 chips and so on. Without Intel, AMD would be like VIA right now making low end x86 chips instead of mainstream. This is like that whole Microsoft vs Apple thing. Apple will always be number 2, but without the threat of competition, Windows would not have advanced also.

I don't know why everyone needs to fight about this. Most of us here on THG are somewhat educated people that can decide which hardware best suites them without being a hardcore fan of either party. People should stop being so serious and feeling insulted every time someone says they prefer Intel or prefer AMD... If everyone lines up behind Intel and dropped AMD completely... we would be back at Netburst, innovation would be dead and then everyone would be complaining about Intel is stale. If everyone lined up behind AMD and dropped Intel, the same would be true.

So everyone should stop whining and take a break. It's just hardware and it all needs to be replaced eventually anyways. The original topic of this thread was lost after the first page and the rest of this thread has become a steaming pile of crap. I thought the moderators or admins are supposed to close a thread once it is way off topic. Every other thread where so many people argue usually gets closed before there is 2 pages of nonsense.

As for the original topic, is BD faster than the 950... no one actually knows at this point. Everything seen or heard is rumors. Case closed, time to close this thread and start a new one. :pt1cable:

Netburst did not suck. It was still strung up on the Gigahertz race still while AMD did their multicore performance chips. AMD is a 'competitor of self regulation'. Basically, AMD is aiding the Sherman Antitrust Act here in the US, to a minor extent.

People fight over company loyalty. Some prefer Porches others Ferrari's.

Innovation would not be dead. If Intel stopped its innovation plans, VIA, IBM or another Semiconductor company would rush, I mean rush right in and start to innovate IC's.

I agree. Problem is, there is still legitimacy to the thread to the topic. moderators are here to prevent any over-intrusive actions by posters. They are not Forum watchdog.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
For the average user Netburst was fine, but when I say suck... I am directly talking about wattage, heat and stalls. Netburst was notorious for these problems while at the time the AMD lineup was better. But you do remember the Blueman group and all that catchy marketing. Even Weird Al with that song All about the Pentiums... that sums it up right there. That is why they were even able to sell Netburst. People didn't care if their chip was over 100w or if it could be used as a space heater. They only cared about the Gigahertz buzz that Intel ads and commercials always talk about. Intel didn't care about innovation at that time, they made a bad call and just ran with it hoping it would go away on it's own. After the Athlon chips were faster, clocked lower and more power efficient, they had to change their game and go back to the continuation of the Pentium M/3 architecture that they abandoned just to win the Gigahertz war.

But without AMD pushing Intel, we could all be sitting on Pentium 5's right now. Netburst chips clocked at 10GHz using 500w and needing to be water or chemically cooled just so they don't create flash fires and burn down office buildings.

Now Intel has the most efficient CPU line. But if AMD can come out with something better this time, then Intel will be forced to continue coming up with newer better ideas instead of running with what is good enough for now. We really need 3 players to make it truly interesting. But we are stuck with 2, and this is that same fight as the Windows vs Apple crap. Some people will take a bullet for their beliefs and others like me don't care which way it goes as long as it's good.

But as the topic states... Is BD faster than the i7-950... nobody knows yet, and any other comment is still way off topic. As for the moderators not closing it and being a watchdog... every time I argue with somebody, they close the topic immediately and I don't even flame people or use bad language. When there is a flame war going on, no one every closes it. It really boggles the mind.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

If Intel had the most efficient CPU line, it would scale better from netbook to super computer. At present AMD occupies all niches with the same base architecture.

With ARM drinking milk shake, let's hope Zambezi\Valencia basically suck in comparison to Lisbon\Thuban.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Now I'm being had by the AMD fanboy. I see why everyone is complaining. I don't care about netbooks or the server market. Intel is currently ruling the desktop market. If you don't believe me, you can find this information anywhere.

Right now the Phenom x6x 1100t can't beat SB 2600k and it is cheaper. End of story. And don't argue with me about AMD being better as I am posting this on an AMD x4 965. Why did I choose AMD? Cause it was on sale. Behind me sits a Core 2 Quad that is only 3GHz and faster but cost more. We are talking about money, not loyalty. My wallet has no loyalty.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=203

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I see all these people posting off topic and posting links and quotes... they don't close the thread... but when I posted that All about the Pentiums lyrics... they removed it. LOL. This is precious. Guess the AMD fanboys must be the moderators too. Haha. I love it.

I should keep posting it until I get banned. They will ban me but still not close the thread to this retarded post.

Everyone is off topic. Close this thing before I get banned trying to post my point of view.

My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box
You say you've had your desktop for over a week?
Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique
Your laptop is a month old? Well that's great
If you could use a nice, heavy paperweight

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I'm complaining because they are not afraid to block my posts, but are afraid to close the thread. The point is, this thread after page 1 is off topic. According to the terms of service, all posts are supposed to be on topic and you're not supposed to fight. I am not pointing fingers or complaining at any poster in this thread, just the moderator. Take it how you will.

And if I am a fanboy... of which banner am I? Maybe you could enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.