Bulldozer vs SandyBridge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I'm planning on building a new system in January, but I can't decide whether I should build an AMD or Intel system. Which of these processors do you think will offer the best value for my money and why? Also what are the release dates for these 2 new processor lines, and should I just build a 1366 or AM3 system instead of waiting??

Solution
I dont know what to believe.... I dont believe in speculating, just wait for the SB chips to come out and choose then, no one really knows 100% what SB and BD are going to be like and it is said bulldozer is expected Q3 of 2011 and ivy bridge is expected Q4 2011 just buy an SB when it comes out otherwise you are going to be waiting forever for newer and newer tech that will be on the brink of coming out, just dont get a 1366 build right now as it would suck knowing that 1366 will be dead in a month or so (im not saying that 1366 cpus wont be good anymore, im just saying it would suck knowing it is dead)

jf-amd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Absolutely. that is why I live by the rule that no benchmarks are released until we launch the product and that the only performance estimate that we provide is conservative (currently 16-core will have 50% more throughput than 12-core.)

Beyond that you are just asking for trouble.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

He was being sarcastic and attempting to perpetuate the myth that the original Phenom chips performed worse than they actually did.

It seems that many people look at comparing CPU as something that is similar to a sporting event where only the person in first place "wins". To these people performing within a few percentage points of that "winner" can only be described as "losing". Even if the "losing" chip was a lot less expensive.

Without these people every thread that mentions both AMD and Intel wouldn't turn into a flame war. (Life would probably get boring.)

Plasticjesus690

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Reading between the lines does this mean that its not alot faster :p just giving you a hard time.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002

I would have to concur. The real (and never discussed) limit on power consumption isn't so much where the chip begins to overheat - it's where it begins to heat up the user's workspace. Few people want a computer that doubles as a space heater. Somewhere around 150W seems to be "it".

* Not speaking for Intel Corporation *

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Actually, here up in Canada, we welcome space heaters... especially because it's going to be a La Nina winter! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

* Not speaking for The National Association For The Advancement Of Monochromatic Cows *

:)

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
AMD is going to be a second rate company to Intel. I would love nothing more to see AMD live the old glory days. But I think BullDozer will be too big and slow to be able to roll over the Sandy Bridge. It will probably sink.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Not entirely true, the older members do speak of a time when K8 CPUs commanded a massive price tag from AMD.

Ok we already have someone from amd representing us now if only someone from intel also represented us.
Then when a classic amd vs intel flamewar starts both of them will face each other heads on.And that will go down in the history of Tom as one of the most technical flamewar ever.And we user could just enjoy that thread with some popcorn.

Well JF is a director of marketing at AMD, not an engineer as he often states. And Sonoran is an Intel engineer IIRC, but I dunno if he works on CPU design or esp. Sandy Bridge design.

In any event, I doubt two company employees identified as such would engage in some pointless website flamewar. Their bosses would probably not look too kindly upon such activities :p..

Sonoron who posted above works for intel.Maybe some Ex-employe can join tom and engage in some flamewar.
Why would you want a flamewar? I'd much rather see a civil discussion accurately assessing the merits and disadvantages of various design choices, as well as the details behind the designs.

(Not that that'll ever happen)

loneninja

Distinguished

Agreed, flame wars are for children, we need real discussions.

I'd say the problem with Barcie was that it way underperformed everybody's expectations due to all the pre-launch hype (remember the "dancing in the aisles" stories, plus Allen's interview as documented in the Youtube clip). So when it did debut late, with low clocks and then the TLB bug, and the benchies showed it much lower performance than what we had been lead to believe, it was a huge disappointment.

However I wouldn't call it garbage, plus AMD did get the clocks up and the bug fixed after a few months. In retrospect, AMD should probably have delayed the launch even more and used the extra time to more thoroughly test it. But at the time AMD was used to making a profit, unlikely as that sounds :p, so obviously they wanted it out the door and earning some return on their investment. And IMO they miscalculated the lasting impression such an underpowered and underperforming debut would have, at least for enthusiasts who are a really hard bunch of nerds to please :D..

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002

I do not work on product design. I'm a software developer.

I think you will find that people who work for either company appreciate what a massively complex undertaking it is to produce today's CPUs. That's just one of many reasons you're unlikely to find us engaged in flame wars.

* Not speaking for Intel Corporation *

jf-amd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

you won't see me in a flame war, it's just not worth my time. All I do is confirm and clairfy. I generally stay out of "intel vs. AMD" threads, except to correct the incorrect statements. As a matter of fact, you'll probably note that I have said nothing about BD performance relative to SB because neither company has shipping silicon. I have clarified things like FP but haven't really made any statements on actual throughput.

^ Well OK then how about a beer-chugging or arm-wrestling contest between you and Sonoran, to settle which is faster - BD or SB?? :D

But in all seriousness, I agree that flamewars, etc. are pretty silly and only generate heat, not light. As in enlightenment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS