Bummer: Dead Space 3 PC Will Be Direct Console Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear for Dead Space 3. The first was amazing, the second was decent but had too much action, not enough horror.
What I'm seeing of Dead Space 3 isn't good. Co-Op and micro-transactions in a horror game, that will be very difficult to pull off I think.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]EA has failed us once again. They should be out of the game, not THQ.[/citation]
EA for as much as I hate them they happen have great management, THQ failed in management from almost all levels of the company, and it was only a godsend that they had some great games that help them keep afloat as long as they did.

Thankfully EA hasn't purchased any of the THQ's good properties.

With how bad the PC ports of darksiders were however I wouldn't mind if they got that developer.

[citation][nom]manofchalk[/nom]I fear for Dead Space 3. The first was amazing, the second was decent but had too much action, not enough horror. What I'm seeing of Dead Space 3 isn't good. Co-Op and micro-transactions in a horror game, that will be very difficult to pull off I think.[/citation]
I watched a bit of the demo, I don't see a whole lot that I actually like in this game. It really does feel like the difference between resident evil 4 and resident evil 5.

That's not to say that the game was bad, just that completely betrayed its roots. Five is no longer scary in the least, and even when they tried they failed that it. And don't even get me started on six great action game but horrible resident evil game.

That's kind of the way I feel about dead space three, great action game but horrible dead space game.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"Pentium 4? Core 2 Duo? Nehalem? Sandy? Bulldozer?"

Doesn't matter.
I haven't ran into a game that was picky on what kind of CPU it was running on since FreeSpace...

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Did anyone here play DS1 for PC? The damned controls were terrible. It was clear that they did a half-assed, bottom dollar PC port just to sucker those dollars out of people's hands. For that reason alone I've never played DS2.

Why would I pay EA to cheat and get materials when I can use cheat engine for free if I so desired?

The real tragedy is now players will assume cheating is necessary because EA will have intentionally upped the rarity of those items to encourage you to pay.

I will reward EA's new single player micro-transaction & full price game by just not buying it, won't even feel bad about it. There's so many great games out there these days, I just don't have time to play them all anyway. Currently playing Legend of Grimrock from the humble indie bundle. No watered down, half done features, no online DRM, and no 2nd class (cuz it's not on a console) gaming experience. EA can suck it.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
You've done it again EA, thank you very F'n much. Good to see those specs for the PC really push the boundaries there as well. I'm sure it will be polished like any other ported game, sigh.......

On a side note, the first was amazing and the second was still pretty good. Still not installing Origin, so I just miss out on another (my 4th now???) new exclusive Origin title.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I'm not one to get bent out of shape over these straight up pc ports. I still get to play it at a smoother frame rate with full hd resolution, and usually at a much cheaper price than the console version. There are still a bunch of games out there that I can play to bring my phenom 2 955@ 3.8 and 560ti's in sli to their knees lol.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]EA has failed us once again. They should be out of the game, not THQ.[/citation]
I wish I could upvote this a few more times.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Funny how the system requirements just happen to be hardware from 2005/2006, when the last two consoles came out.

7 year old technology, but you can bet your ass that they'll charge top dollar for it, and include some bullshit $150 collectors edition that no one wants.

zeddd

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Direct console port...
Well... I was to buy this game, but now I think I will not.
But still... I will try the version from the pirate bay. Thank you EA. You saved my money.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Did anyone here play DS1 for PC? The damned controls were terrible. It was clear that they did a half-assed, bottom dollar PC port just to sucker those dollars out of people's hands. For that reason alone I've never played DS2.[/citation]
Ditto. And I won't buy DS3 either for the same reason. The port for 1 was bad enough I couldn't even play it. I heard 2 was even worse. Leaves no hope for 3.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]EA for as much as I hate them they happen have great management,[/citation]

hahahaha.

Yea because EA isn't known for killing some of the best gaming developers out there. Nah..... Also, SW:TOR is a roar success that beat WoW in sub numbers in just a few months of launch too.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Did anyone here play DS1 for PC? The damned controls were terrible.[/citation]

Not if you did the control fix, which was about V-sync.

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
[citation][nom]From the article[/nom]INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION, AND END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY[/citation]

So... does that mean that it's always on DRM or one time authentication DRM?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]hahahaha.Yea because EA isn't known for killing some of the best gaming developers out there. Nah..... Also, SW:TOR is a roar success that beat WoW in sub numbers in just a few months of launch too.[/citation]

Here let me copy paste a little thing from Wikipedia

Revenue US$4.143 billion (2012)[1]
Operating income US$35.00 million (2012)[1]
Net income US$76.00 million (2012)[1]
Total assets US$5.491 billion (2012)[1]
Total equity US$2.458 billion (2012)[1]

Everything besides equity was up,
THQ on the other hand was losing money every single year not able to post any form of profit due to gross poor management.

Now you want to look at Star Wars the Old Republic, I honestly don't believe there is any room on the market for massively multiplayer online role-playing game that actually has to be paid for any more. Thanks to World of Warcraft they became something that is very hard to break into, World of Warcraft to this day has more than 5 million active users I believe at their peaks they were about 12 million active users. You fail to take into account that people go where other people are the strength of an MMO stands in its community, and to get that community come to the game you have to have a big name behind it or you have to be free. A lot of people already know that MMO games are time sinks, so even when you are inside the target demographic for an MMO is hard for you to actually justify the purchase of one and a recurring cost of $15 a month when you know that it's just going to kill a crap ton of your time. It doesn't help that the Old Republic required 1.5 million people apply on a constant basis to breakeven and even then didn't offer much at the high end of the game. And because the Old Republic didn't take off as fast as everyone thought it might have it was doomed from the start.

Now if you actually played the Old Republic from what I hear it is a great game with a very good story and the fact that they'll give you the full story for the game free now there is no reason not to plate of your Star Wars fan. But from what I understand once you get through your personal story there is not much keeping you in the world and that was a problem. People expected from the Old Republic will World of Warcraft took years upon years to create from day one and that just isn't happening any videogame.

And if you want to talk about EA killing the developers, I was already around when they took Westwood and butchered the company, and I never forgive them that. But even when I say that it doesn't mean that they didn't have great management. I mean all the crappy business decisions they've made all the games they screwed up and they are still around, it was nothing like thq's blunder after blunder killing the company because of poor management and not because of games that sucked.

Go look up the kotaku right up, they have a very good roadmap of why the company failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS