Question Burned component on GTX 960

nickcon12

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I had a GTX 960 burn some components near the power connector. Can anyone tell me what components those are? I am curious if this is a common issue with older cards. This card is about 3-4 years old. I am concerned that I am having some psu issues that could have caused this that may damage other components in my computer. Everything else is operating normally on my computer right now. I just have to use integrated graphics. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Burned components

Sorry for the poor pic quality. If the quality is too poor let me know I can possibly get a better one.

The pic quality isn't good. Those burnt components seem to be coils but I can't certain. This issue can be caused by a "bad" PSU or mediocre quality graphic card components. Please post the PSU and GPU models in order to get more accurate advice.

Last edited:

nickcon12

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
That RM series is just ok in terms of quality , if you google you will find lots of complaints.
https://www.google.com/search?q=RM1000+ISSUES&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Ok, but it is not cheap in the sense that it is some chinese knock off that I can assume would cause me issues. With this level of psu I would assume they are not going to fry components.

Regardless, this seems to be a little off topic. I am trying to figure out if anyone knows what components are burned and possible causes. It very well could be the psu caused it. But if that is the case I am looking for some more concrete reasoning than "cheap psu, look at all the online complaints".

nickcon12

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Also, all of the complaints I am reading make reference to them being unreliable and having poor quality caps. I haven't see anything with power quality issues or over power scenarios.

When this happened, were you gaming? Did the PC shut down unexpectedly? Was there any smoke? Have you previously tried to clean the card? Have you tried to overclock it? It seems like an electric sort of some kind that burned the PCB or the card tried to draw more power than it could handle. Perhaps another controller on the card that manages power delivery malfunctioned and caused this. If you haven't done anything yourself that might have caused a sort, it seems that the card has just failed. What component has failed shouldn't concern you. Additionally you have an adequate PSU with all the important protection mechanisms that shouldn't have caused this. However sometimes even the best PSUs can malfunction but in that case they also give other symptoms such as unexpected restarts, shut downs, etc. If you want to be safe, try to monitor the +3V, +5v and +12V voltage rails and make sure that they are within spec. Good luck.

Last edited:

nickcon12

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I was not gaming. The PC did shutdown unexpectedly though. Some smoke due to the components burning. Not enough to see but I could smell it a bit. The card is clean and never been overclocked.

It seems that one component on the graphics card failed (probably from ageing), causing a sort circuit, and a PSU protection mechanism kicked in saving the day. However that you can't be absolutely certain that the PSU didn't gradually kill that component, not from providing too much power but from excessive electric noise and ripple. A PSU uses some of its capacitors for filtering and as a PSU ages those caps are getting old and stressed thus they are starting to lose their filtering capability. So if your PSU is getting old (5+ years) it may have started to output more ripple and noise that it normally should and if you take into account that this specific PSU model doesn't have very good capacitors, then this should concern you a lot. On the other hand your PSU is also way bigger than it should be for your build (without knowing your CPU) and it isn't getting stressed at a all. You system probably only needs 400-500W (max) therefore the PSU (and its caps) isn't ageing as fast as it should be if it consistently provided more than 700-800W. So if we take all the facts into account the PSU is probably fine for now. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS