[SOLVED] Burned CPU 4 Pin

Nov 30, 2021
So, my PC was randomly turning the monitor and peripherals off at the same time but the system kept running. I couldn't shut it down nor restart it using the case buttons, the only way to make it come back was if I re-sitted all the parts (which until this last time didn't work and I had to wait until it just wanted to turn on again). It had that behaviour for some months now and I just found out that the 4 pin connectors on the MOBO and PSU are slightly burned. It's not like a big deal, the inner part of the PSU connector is normally golden but the burned ones (2) are grey-ish now, for example. The MOBO connector is brown-ish but nothing is melted.

I use a FX 6300 Black Edition (yeah), and before, it was running at 1.3VCore @ 3.5GHz. I now lowered it to 1.2VCore @ 2.6GHz just to be sure if that would stop the system from shutting down randomly.

JFYI, about a year ago I lost a HDD due to the system randomly shutting down by itself and I remember it presented a voltage error. The voltages were too high and ASUS Anti Surge was shutting the system down. I didn't had to re-sit all the parts to use it again btw, just restarting it was enough. This happened at a different location, so I assume the problem is within the PC parts.

My question is: Could the VCore value be the problem this whole time? I have a EVGA 430W 80 Plus White PSU that can handle my system pretty well because it doesn't require much. If that's the case, I also want to know if I'll have to reduce the VCore value by 0.01 increments, at stock clock, and run tests to know what the lowest usable VCore value would be? It would take forever!

My PC specs are:
RAM: 2x 4GB 1600MHz
CPU: FX 6300 Black Edition
Mobo: ASUS M5A78LM-LX
PSU: EVGA 430W 80 Plus White
GPU: GTX 750Ti 1GB

Edit: I use my PC with a power outlet strip and now I also have to change the outlet in order to make it turn on when it's another day and I want to use the computer.

Last edited:
Solution
I'd definitely get a new PSU and see how that goes first. Get a good PSU that can handle an eventual upgrade to a new system with a more powerful GPU. I'd get a good 650w just for some extra headroom. The sooner you can get that new PSU the better - you don't want anything burning!

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I have a EVGA 430W 80 Plus White PSU that can handle my system pretty well because it doesn't require much. "

How old is that PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Minimum PSU wattage for that GPU is 300 watts provided that I correctly matched GPU and required specs.

If the current 430 watt PSU has been heavily used and/or nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life) then the PSU may be starting to falter and fail.

Burning/melting/ shutdowns, etc.. are a good sign that the PSU is not what it should be or was.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer: Varying and increasing numbers of errors (usually shutdown related) are another sign of a failing PSU.

Check the following link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the immediate intent to purchase a new PSU.

Just use 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine what the applicable PSU size should be. If a component has a range of wattage values use the high end value.

Remember that sudden peak wattage draws often cause problems - especially for older and/or lower quality PSUs.

Reactions: asiud15
Nov 30, 2021
Yeah, the PSU is pretty old. I bought this computer back in 2016 and I've been using it eversince for gaming, music production, and for other normal tasks for as long as the day goes. I checked the Reliability History as you said, and saw a lot of "Windows wasn't turned off correctly" errors. I think I'mma just buy a new PSU from the article you showed me, but should I buy a new MOBO too? I mean, if I have to buy a new motherboard for an old CPU I might just buy a new motherboard, a new CPU and new DDR4 RAMs right away.

Thank you so much for the help!!!

Nov 30, 2021
I'd definitely get a new PSU and see how that goes first. Get a good PSU that can handle an eventual upgrade to a new system with a more powerful GPU. I'd get a good 650w just for some extra headroom. The sooner you can get that new PSU the better - you don't want anything burning!

Will do, man! The XPG Core Reactor PSUs seem to have prices in the same range for the 650W and 850W versions so I might just get the 850W one for some ultra safety lol! Thank you!