Question Burned SSD? Will it affect my other components?

Mar 25, 2019
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7 GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i
RAM: 16 GB RAM
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic 650W PSU
Mobo: MSI B350M MORTAR
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO, Western Digital 1 TB, SanDisk SSD PLUS 256 GB

So yesterday I attempted to install my new SanDisk SSD in my build. After plugging in the SATA and power cables, I attempted to boot the computer and was met with a puff of smoke, as well as a burning smell. Disassembly and inspection of the system revealed that the SATA port on the motherboard and the connectors on both ends of the cable were burnt. The computer turns on but does not POST, and the graphics card fans spin on another build. The other hard drives also appear okay, at least as far as their connectors go. Unfortunately I have not been able to definitively test the card due to cable compatibility issues, but physically it appears fine. I know that the SSD is probably burnt and am in the process of an RMA, but what about the rest of my build? I have already ordered a new motherboard; am I likely to need a new processor, GPU, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 25, 2019
Model for your Seasonic PSU? You might want to try and plug the SSD off of an adapter with USB on the other end and see if it shows up on your donor system.
I believe it's a Seasonic M12II. I'm not sure I'd be able to connect the SSD to an adapter, as the connector is basically melted.

The processor and GPU should have been well-enough isolated from the conflagration to have survived; however, experience tells me that, as soon as I make that kind of statement, Murphy comes out of hiding.

Consider them to be suspect, subject to verification of condition, instead of outright damaged--at least for the moment.