burning files > 700 MB on VCDs

I want to burn a dat file whose size is 733 MB. How can this be done
on a CD-R with size 700 MB? My Nero 5.5.9 burner simply gives an
error that the filesize is too big when I tried to burn it using
'Burn CD-ROM' option. I tried to burn a video CD. It started that
compilation, created 4 folders and I drag-dropped my 733 MB file
in the compilation's 'mpegav' folder. But the 'burn CD' option
is disabled and I don't know how to enable it.

I am told 'tmpenc' burns files bigger than 700 MB. How far above 700 MB
does it go?

Are there any plug-ins which allow Nero to burn files over 700 MB?

TIA.

> I want to burn a dat file whose size is 733 MB. How can this be done
> on a CD-R with size 700 MB? My Nero 5.5.9 burner simply gives an
> error that the filesize is too big when I tried to burn it using
> 'Burn CD-ROM' option. I tried to burn a video CD. It started that
> compilation, created 4 folders and I drag-dropped my 733 MB file
> in the compilation's 'mpegav' folder. But the 'burn CD' option
> is disabled and I don't know how to enable it.
>
> I am told 'tmpenc' burns files bigger than 700 MB. How far above 700 MB
> does it go?

TMPGenc is an encoder, not a burner.

> Are there any plug-ins which allow Nero to burn files over 700 MB?

You don't need a plug-in. You should be able to fit around 800mb of video on
a 700mb CD.

Do this.

Start Nero.

Close the Wizard if it pops up

In the New Compilation window, select CD from the drop-down menu and pick
Video CD from the list of templates. Make sure it's set correctly to either
NTSC or PAL.

You should now have a blank/white/empty window on your left which says
Track, Title, Duration, Pause, Size.
Drop your MPEG file(s) into this window, and once Nero has analyzed and
accepted the file, you should be able to burn it.

"Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote -

> > Are there any plug-ins which allow Nero to burn files over 700 MB?
>
> You don't need a plug-in. You should be able to fit around 800mb of video
on
> a 700mb CD.
>
> Do this.
>
> Start Nero.
>
> Close the Wizard if it pops up
>
> In the New Compilation window, select CD from the drop-down menu and pick
> Video CD from the list of templates. Make sure it's set correctly to
either
> NTSC or PAL.
>
> You should now have a blank/white/empty window on your left which says
> Track, Title, Duration, Pause, Size.
> Drop your MPEG file(s) into this window, and once Nero has analyzed and
> accepted the file, you should be able to burn it.

Thanks. From this, I understand that I will only have to drag-drop
the MPEG file. Other directories on the VCD being burnt (cdi,
ext, segment, vcd -- whichever applicable) will be taken care
of by Nero.

But how do I decide whether to set it to NTSC or PAL. The
mpeg I want to burn was created in India (where PAL is used).
I will be burning the CD in US using a windows-98 computer
'designed to work in US'. Any tips on this point will be helpful.

and to add to what the other poster says a vcd is not treated in terms of
size when creating it.

It is termed in MINUTES so you can fit 74mins on a 74min cd and 80mins on an
80min cd etc etc

It packs the data differently to what it would if it was 700 or 800mb of
data you were burning in ordinary "cd rom" mode!

When you burn in VCD mode it can put about 10% more data than what the cd
normally holds so you could have an 880mb file on a 800mb disc!

HTH

"Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
> > I want to burn a dat file whose size is 733 MB. How can this be done
> > on a CD-R with size 700 MB? My Nero 5.5.9 burner simply gives an
> > error that the filesize is too big when I tried to burn it using
> > 'Burn CD-ROM' option. I tried to burn a video CD. It started that
> > compilation, created 4 folders and I drag-dropped my 733 MB file
> > in the compilation's 'mpegav' folder. But the 'burn CD' option
> > is disabled and I don't know how to enable it.
> >
> > I am told 'tmpenc' burns files bigger than 700 MB. How far above 700 MB
> > does it go?
>
> TMPGenc is an encoder, not a burner.
>

> > Are there any plug-ins which allow Nero to burn files over 700 MB?
>
> You don't need a plug-in. You should be able to fit around 800mb of video
on
> a 700mb CD.
>
> Do this.
>
> Start Nero.
>
> Close the Wizard if it pops up
>
> In the New Compilation window, select CD from the drop-down menu and pick
> Video CD from the list of templates. Make sure it's set correctly to
either
> NTSC or PAL.
>
> You should now have a blank/white/empty window on your left which says
> Track, Title, Duration, Pause, Size.
> Drop your MPEG file(s) into this window, and once Nero has analyzed and
> accepted the file, you should be able to burn it.

> Thanks. From this, I understand that I will only have to drag-drop
> the MPEG file. Other directories on the VCD being burnt (cdi,
> ext, segment, vcd -- whichever applicable) will be taken care
> of by Nero.
>
> But how do I decide whether to set it to NTSC or PAL. The
> mpeg I want to burn was created in India (where PAL is used).
> I will be burning the CD in US using a windows-98 computer
> 'designed to work in US'. Any tips on this point will be helpful.

If the frame rate is 23.976 or 29.97, then it's NTSC. If it's 25 it's PAL.

I am not sure it makes that big a difference when it comes to VCD. Pretty
much all DVD players are perfectly happy to play both standards, but try and
burn as PAL first. If it doesn't work, it's not like CDs are that expensive,
and you can burn a new one as NTSC.

In article <2j4ogaFthnmjU1@uni-berlin.de>, nani3skip45@hotmail.com
says...

> Thanks. From this, I understand that I will only have to drag-drop
> the MPEG file. Other directories on the VCD being burnt (cdi,
> ext, segment, vcd -- whichever applicable) will be taken care
> of by Nero.
>
> But how do I decide whether to set it to NTSC or PAL. The
> mpeg I want to burn was created in India (where PAL is used).
> I will be burning the CD in US using a windows-98 computer
> 'designed to work in US'. Any tips on this point will be helpful.

What did you record on? NTSC or PAL? That is what will determine the
final product. You can burn from PAL source to PAL VCD no problems,
regardless of the standard used where you live. If you want to convert
to NTSC it becomes a bit fiddly (I know as I have just converted my PAL
footage to NTSC VCD to send overseas). Check out:

http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html

as a start.

HTH,
R.