Question Burning smell coming from psu

Jan 19, 2020
Just last night my psu developed a weird burning smell, it was late so I turned of the pc and went to bed. I still can’t locate what the smell came from, it was a little dusty so maybe some of that burnt up a bit and if that’s so should it be alright to keep using after I clean it?

Thanks

CPU 2700x
Gpu rx580 sapphire nitro+
Psu thermaltake 650w litepower
PSU tier lists can often get some PSUs in the wrong tier, making bad PSUs seem better than they really are and good PSUs seem worse than they really are. But the Thermaltake Litepower is consistently at the bottom (worst) of every PSU tier list I can find.

My point being that if you think it smells burnt, then replacing it would be a good idea.

This first PSU Tier List if pretty much garbage and seems to get the tiers backwards making it even more confusing. This next PSU tier list was respectable, but hasn't been updated in a while.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 19, 2020
PSU tier lists can often get some PSUs in the wrong tier, making bad PSUs seem better than they really are and good PSUs seem worse than they really are. But the Thermaltake Litepower is consistently at the bottom (worst) of every PSU tier list I can find.

My point being that if you think it smells burnt, then replacing it would be a good idea.

This first PSU Tier List if pretty much garbage and seems to get the tiers backwards making it even more confusing. This next PSU tier list was respectable, but hasn't been updated in a while.

Thanks this has really helped, I think the warranty is still good so hopefully I can return it and invest in a better psu.

Jan 19, 2020

I found Another more updated list would you also say this is respectable?

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Just last night my psu developed a weird burning smell, it was late so I turned of the pc and went to bed. I still can’t locate what the smell came from, it was a little dusty so maybe some of that burnt up a bit and if that’s so should it be alright to keep using after I clean it?

Thanks
Better change it, you never know

The same thing happened to my brothers EVGA 600b. One day it just popped and sparked and smoked but still worked. I took it out and the insides looked fine but it still smelled bad. It sits in a box and is not in any system.

I would not trust that litepower with an RX580 new, let alone after it already showed signs of failure.