Burning smell from computer

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I just built a computer 6 months ago and I just started to small a burning smell recently and I thought it was the power supply so I got a new one and turned it back on its was doing ok for a bit then I started a game about 10m into the game I smellt it again and be for I could of turned it off it shut down by it's self

Solution

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

Would you mind listing your PC specs including both your old and new PSU?
Until we get this figured out, you should keep the computer turned off and unplugged.

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

I7 7700k.
Gigabyte Ga Z270x Gaming 5
Corsair cx 750
EVGA 750 GQ (new)
Corsair hydro series high performance

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

Motherboard and CPU seem fine, both power supplies are pretty good (I do hear how the CX series isn't the greatest under high loads, however i havn't had any issues with mine) The EVGA PSU is also a great power supply.

I initially asked that to see if you had crap specs or unreliable power supplies (been there done that, i use to own this pile of junk https://www.amazon.com/KENTEK-120mm-Supply-EPS12V-PCI-Express/dp/B0058WZ1RW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510287119&sr=8-3&keywords=kentek&dpID=51M1eXoubvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch immediately purchased a corsair before anything bad happened)

It could be a possibility that the "burning" smell is coming from your radiator from your water cooler.

Have you tried checking CPU temps while under load? It could be that the water cooler was improperly installed or its faulty.

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

No I did not but it was working for about 6 months and I don't think I can turn it back on

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

It is the worst when a computer just quits working and you have no idea what component is at fault.
If the PC ran fine for a few months, then the liquid cooler should be fine, and since that cooler is closed it shouldn't need to get replaced with new liquid.
Maybe it is the power supply then, maybe try plugging your corsair back in and see if the computer boots up then, if still no life at all, im afraid the motherboard or the CPU might be fried

When you smelled the burning smell did you try to see where it was coming from?

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

It was coming from the top left corner of the computer that's were the cooler is and motherboard and cpu is but I did put my cool upside down now that I am looking at it the tubes are at the bottom and not the top is that a bad thing?

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

It "shouldn't" make a different the orientation the watercooler is.
No leakages or anything?

Does the computer try to boot up at all? Because the computer will still boot up even if there is no cooler what so ever installed (so if the water cooler is "broken" it should still boot up), however it won't stay on very long.
If there is ZERO life at all, something is damaged

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

It boots it just turn it self off and I am scarf to turn it back on

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

Sounds like its turning itself off because the CPU isn't getting the proper cooling... those are good enough specs that they should easily be able to detect that kind of stuff so thats probably why its shutting off then
Did your CPU come with a stock fan and some more thermal paste? if so i'd recommend switching the liquid cooler out for that and trying again

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

Sadly no I will order a fan cooler this time do you have a good one that you can recommend

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

I'm not saying you have to switch completely from water cooling to fan cooling, I was just asking to test to see before spending unnecessary money.
Probably the most popular Air cooler on the market is the Hyper 212 EVO (comes with thermal paste) https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-RR-212E-20PK-R2-120mm/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510290061&sr=8-1&keywords=coolermaster+hyper+212+evo&dpID=518BEXKEiiL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
This would be a good cooler if you decide to stay air cooled, however, if you get it and you find out it wasn't the water cooler's fault and something is still wrong, then this would be a waste of $30 USD

How tight on money are you
Because knowing from experience (always using standard shipping and living in the middle of no where, having to wait nearly a week until i get my package) I'd hate to get a cheap cooler, wait, find out it works, then buy a good cooler, wait, then finally play like normal.

EDIT: then again a cheap cooler will cost you around $10 which is 1/3 of the price of the Hyper 212
Something to keep in mind

killerofwarcraft82

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

I am good as long as I don't have to spend 1500 on a new computer lol so I will get the cooler and see I will update you when I get it and see if it works and what not

Kkody2

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016

Alright! Sounds Good
Sorry I wasn't able to fully diagnose your problem and hopefully it actually is the cooler.
I searched around a bit and found that some other people were also smelling a "burn" smell coming from their radiator and if that's where you felt it came from, it has to be that. Also considering the computer still boots, just turns itself back off right away shows that everything runs fine but its possibly the "security system" the CPU and Motherboard have to make sure they don't get damaged if it gets too hot.

If it ends up not working, I would try the different power supply and after that I am not sure what else you could do.

Yeah, let me know what you find out/ if you need any further questions as I'll be glad to help to my full abilities.

Good Luck!

Solution