Status
Not open for further replies.

FenrirHS

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
So I tried selling an old r9 390x sapphire nitro (unused). The person I sold it to returned it to me saying "we sys admins recognise when a gpu smells burnt". So I felt really guilty, had no idea, I mean I never even used the thing. So I basically said "well if the warranty is off i can't mess it up more by screwing it open".

It smelled like a dollar store. Definitely a weird cheap plastic smell, burnt smell indeed. So I screwed off the backplate and it stopped smelling weird. So on the Sapphire Nitro the backplate is connected with screws and some black sticky rubbery thing that is legitimately disgusting to the touch. I went over the whole card, smelled like nothing, then I smelled the rubbery thing from my nightmares and indeed the smell was coming from it. Should I be worried?

I mean, the card was used once to install OS and crash after a youtube video (my PCI-E slot was busted, it's like a shutdown mechanism after the card got loaded more than 10-ish percent), so I seriously can't have heated it up that much. Is it safe to use?

Solution
If the burnt smell isn't coming from the electronics....I would try it.

I think it more likely than not that the incident with the broken Pcie slot didn't hurt the card.

FenrirHS

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
If the burnt smell isn't coming from the electronics....I would try it.

I think it more likely than not that the incident with the broken Pcie slot didn't hurt the card.
are there any ways I can test the gpu apart from seeing if it crashes on games? I'm getting a new build soon and it has no integrated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.