Question Burning smell from motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2019
OK. I did some research and found out that it is OK to use rubbing alcohol (70℅ isopropyl) to clean motherboard. Mine was really dirt so I took all the hardware out and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol, left it to dry for some time (1 hour). I also cleaned my GPU and RAM with it. So I turned the buttons on and the PC automatically started had no display and under 3 seconds I smelt a burning smell I immediately shut my PC down. Now that I have left it alone for a while the PC turns on and gives 5 long beeps (motherboard failure) I smelt the RAM, nothing wrong with it. So what should I do?

Specs: HP Compaq PC with AMD 8600b triple core processor 2.3GHZ

Also, from that one photo I looked at your capacitors.
The ones I see are looking good.
To know if you have a bad capacitor, it will NOT be flat on top, but bulges up, like a bubble.

Please check Capacitors (google it if you dont know what they are) and make sure they are FLAT on top.

Mar 11, 2019
So I guess its a minor problem. No burns no nothing, i just need to have it cleaned thoroughly. I won't bother myself removing the board because it might ruin the CPU's attachment to the heatsink.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So I guess its a minor problem. No burns no nothing, i just need to have it cleaned thoroughly. I won't bother myself removing the board because it might ruin the CPU's attachment to the heatsink.

If you have a consistent burning smell something is wrong so you can take it apart properly now and hopefully save some stuff. Or just leave it and risk losing it all....