Burning smell from new ram please help!!!

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I just plugged in my new ram, and got very, very bad results :(

First I plugged them in one way, no connection to my monitor.
I restarted the computer, and plugged the ram in the other way (how could I do this?!) then I still had no connection, and after a few sec, I smelled a burning smell and my pc shut down. I have now removed the new ram, and left only the old ones in. The burning smell is gone, but no connection to the monitor. Also, the old ram was the only thing that was hot. My gpu felt sorta cool, but im not 100% sure.

Please help me :(

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Also, I see no clear burn marks on my mobo, or ANY of the rams..

I cant smell any component "burning" ALOT (small fregrences only) now (aprox 15mins later)..

G

I think you damaged your motherboard by plugging the ram the other way (is it even possible?).
I once connected a 5v PCI card to a 3.3V slot, they look the same but the notch is on the other side. By that time i didn't even know there were 2 types of PCI..
800px_PCI_Keying.jpg

Result?
Burnt smell, i immediately plugged the pc off. Removed the PCI hard, turned it back on. DEAD.
I had to buy a new motherboard. silly me.

I think you did the same think but with a ram.
Sorry..

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Yes I think so, but I have no idea how xD Isn't there suppost to be a pin to keep me from doing that?

Also, I cant see any burn marks.

G

Yup there's a notch and an edge on the slot to make it impossible for you to do that, that's why i'm not sure how you managed, maybe pressed too hard?

build_pc_xp2000_ram_locate.jpg

Are you possitive you plugged it the other way around?

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Didn't press that hard, and the plastic notch on the connection on the mobo and the rams look fine acctually, also 100% sure I plugged them in the wrong way :(

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Is there any way I can test what is broken?

Will the computer get more damaged if I try to start it again, but without the ram?

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Wait... Not entirely sure i plugged them in the wrong way anymore.. Just tried to plugg them in the wrong way, and I can feel that it is very hard to do, and I didn't push very hard at all...

G

A computer with no ram will give no video signal.
Turning the PC on with no ram will not damage anything but will not prove anything either.

Let me try to understand how you pulled this off.
Can you write the brand and model of the motherboard, and the type of memory you used backwards.

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
The ram i might have used backwards was corsair xms3 1333mhz 4gb x2.

The mobo is asus ph755-m.

Plugged the ram into the black slots, doubt this matters...

There was no signal even before they MIGHT have been plugged in backwards (they where plugged in correct).

Also, they have the right stats, so my mobo should handle it.

I had a post open about these new rams aprox 1h ago. Its called corsair vs team elite (or something like that)

G

Mother and ram are indeed compatible.
The reason why there was no signal the first time could be that the ram wasn't inserted all the way down (to the "click" point) or the memory had a factory malfunction.
Is it rather normal that malfunctioning rams don't display video "NO VIDEO" monitor message.
Even though is odd a pair of corsairs are failed it can happen.

You can try putting just 1 of your old ram in the first slot and turn the pc on.
If no video, switch it to the 2nd one, and so on.

I wanna see if any of the slots work, if not the motherboard is indeed fried.

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
If my mobo and ram is fried, I read that my cpu might be too (which is fine, because I was still going to replace it...)

Would:

AMD FX-6100 6-Core Processor
ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9

Be good? Its a "bundle deal".

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Also, how do I know if it's the mobo and not the ram that is fried on your previously mentioned test?

Also, all the fans run when I start my comp.

G

I cannot know, better unplug everything else we don't need it anyway to test, just wanna see if it gives video signal: mobo+cpu+ram will do, unplug everything else.

When i fried a mother with the PCI slot, the processor worked fine on the new mother, i don't know about yours, it could be fried or it could be perfectly fine, need to test it on another motherboard to know.

The new build looks nice! ;)

P.s: I got some idea pm if you are alright with "morally grey".

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I don't have built in graphics in the cpu, so I will prob need the gpu for a signal, right?

Thanks for all the help, it's very appreciated :)

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Ok.

I am going to bed now, and I will run all the tests tomorrow :)

I will post the answer after the test :)

Thanks for all the help and your time!

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
One last thing before I go, can my cpu/psu/mobo be broken if all the fans start and the powerbutton works?

eligri

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Just tried it all, and ITS WORKING!!!!!!! :D

Now im just going to run some tests, but so far it all seems fine :D

Thank you sooooo much for the help, I am really thankful for all the help :)