Question Burning smell from power supply in a newly built pc

Aug 25, 2019
3
0
10
0
I built this pc myself 3 weeks ago:

Ryzen 5 2600
Zotac ZT-T16600F-10L
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C16 XMP
NOX Hummer X 650W 80PLUS Gold
Asrock B450 Pro4

2 days ago it started to reboot randomly.
At first I tougth it was a gpu driver problem but today I went to turn on the pc, the whole power of my house went off and the psu started smelling burnt.
I have an old "620W NOX NX SERIES" which I can try but I'm not sure if it will be enough for this set up
Sorry for my English
 
A burned smell and unexpected restarts is almost certainly a psu issue. Concidering the gold psu blew the breaker i would never use it again. If the psu is under warranty, rma it.

I would try the old psu just to test if the system works with it. Your exploded psu may have hurt other things in the pc.
 
That's called infant mortality. Not the prettiest picture conjured by it but describes it well. Ignoring abused parts, the only parts that fail more frequently than new parts are old parts at end of life. Which most of us never really get close to since computers go obsolete and get upgraded so frequently.

So it's entirely possible your brand new PSU is trashed. Sorry... hope it didn't sit around waiting for more parts until the return window closed.
 
Aug 25, 2019
3
0
10
0
A burned smell and unexpected restarts is almost certainly a psu issue. Concidering the gold psu blew the breaker i would never use it again. If the psu is under warranty, rma it.

I would try the old psu just to test if the system works with it. Your exploded psu may have hurt other things in the pc.
I tried conectting my old psu but it only has a 6 pin connector for the GPU, what should I do?
 

Phaaze88

Admirable
Herald
... Concidering the gold psu blew the breaker i would never use it again...
Is that possible? Couldn't it have been a coincidental blackout? And then the following surge killed the PSU?
But then that would mean the OP's residence doesn't have a ground?

I tried conectting my old psu but it only has a 6 pin connector for the GPU, what should I do?
Get another psu, that's all you can do really. Don't take shortcuts with power supplies.
 
Aug 25, 2019
3
0
10
0
Is that possible? Couldn't it have been a coincidental blackout? And then the following surge killed the PSU?
But then that would mean the OP's residence doesn't have a ground?


Get another psu, that's all you can do really. Don't take shortcuts with power supplies.
I am at my parents house for the holidays and the wall sockets doesn't have grounding, So Im guessing warranty wont cover my issue...
 

Phaaze88

Admirable
Herald
Oh... welp, that answers my question.
@ OP, sorry this happened to you.

As an FYI, surge protectors and UPSs don't really offer any protection in residences with no dedicated ground. They too, can take considerable damage from surges.
They are essentially just power strips at that point.
 
I am at my parents house for the holidays and the wall sockets doesn't have grounding, So Im guessing warranty wont cover my issue...
Lack of ground shouldn't be blamed for it (although it does present a safety hazard as the metal case of the CPU could be at a high voltage.) I'd say you're good to return for replacement, try to return it to the store where you bought it if it's in the return window. Otherwise they may steer you to the mfr. for an RMA.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS