[SOLVED] Burnt GPU?

sDGam

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Shortly after i assembled my new pc parts, the PSU failed and burnt almost everything else. After a long wait of 2 months for RMAs on the PSU the Motherboard and the CPU i'm almost ready to get it back together again.
Meanwhile i tested the RAM and the GPU on the another PC.
The RAM seemed to work and the PC booted fine. Although i didn't run memtest on them.
The GPU on the other hand booted the system fine and seemed to be working correctly, although i didn't stress test it either.
Here's the question. When i ran the GPU on the test system (after the original was fried) a small amount of smoke came as soon as its fans started spinning. I didn't stress test it in fear it would fail and kill my test system.
Is it safe to use it or should i rma it? (it's a Palit GPU and the rma might take months)
At first i suspected the smoke might be residue from the burnt PSU, since when it burnt some smoke came out of it and went upwards towards the GPU. Is it legit to be left as residue on the GPU?
Nevertheless, the GPU was giving me image on the test system even after i saw the smoke come out.
Is it possible that the GPU will damage my new RMA'd components?

Solution
Just to clarify, what was your previous PSU and and what is your current PSU? (make and models, not just wattage).

If the previous PSU is poor quality (which it seems your previous one was) it is common for it to take out other parts, quite commonly the GPU, if you saw smoke coming from the GPU itself, then do not use it, however being as the previous PSU damaged the GPU, there's no guarantee they will accept the RMA,

I'm surprised the RMA was accepted for the Motherboard and CPU to be honest, but means a good outcome for yourself!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just to clarify, what was your previous PSU and and what is your current PSU? (make and models, not just wattage).

If the previous PSU is poor quality (which it seems your previous one was) it is common for it to take out other parts, quite commonly the GPU, if you saw smoke coming from the GPU itself, then do not use it, however being as the previous PSU damaged the GPU, there's no guarantee they will accept the RMA,

I'm surprised the RMA was accepted for the Motherboard and CPU to be honest, but means a good outcome for yourself!

Solution

sDGam

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
The one that failed was Corsair CX650M and i got the same one after the first was RMA'd. The test system has RX650M.
There was no visible damage on any of the parts except the PSU so they were accepted for RMA.
Is it possible that the smoke that came out from the GPU was residue from the burnt PSU?(it was just a small puff as if it was dust) It was working fine was it tested it afterwards (no stress test though).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The one that failed was Corsair CX650M and i got the same one after the first was RMA'd. The test system has RX650M.
There was no visible damage on any of the parts except the PSU so they were accepted for RMA.
Is it possible that the smoke that came out from the GPU was residue from the burnt PSU?(it was just a small puff as if it was dust) It was working fine was it tested it afterwards (no stress test though).
I wouldn't suspect so, as usually the PSU wouldn't leave residue on something else unless it physically exploded / burst into flames or melted away the cables. IMO, considering there was damage to the rest of your system, I wouldn't take any chances.

PSU failures are notorious for causing all manner of issues. I am however a little surprised it was a Corsair CX650M at the helm of it. Especially the grey label (the physical label/text on the PSU is grey - if it was a green label one, I'd be less surprised).

sDGam

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
It was grey label. Honestly the fault was partially mine. The PC did shutdown and i pressed the power button 3 times because the leds and fans would flash for miliseconds. The 4th time i pressed is when the smoke came out and everything got damaged. So i guess the PSU originally protected everything but i pushed it too much and then hell broke loose. If i hadn't kept pressing the power button the rest of the system wouldn't get damaged.

So is it possible that the GPU worked fine under a small load in the test system but might burn if i stress it and damage something else with it?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So is it possible that the GPU worked fine under a small load in the test system but might burn if i stress it and damage something else with it?
Perfectly possible.

Obviously impossible to tell without testing it, yes it could theoretically be fine - but simply based on the fact that you've had to replace everything else, if it were me, I wouldn't be taking the chance.