Burnt MOBO plz help

ma5tah

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
Hello,
So recently my stupid ass decided to plug a led strip into my MOBO with a wrong pin, while the strip was connected to the case, which was connected to the PSU. I’ve heard few clicks and it smelled like something was burning. I’ve checked my PSU and it works. Do you have any ideas on what I should do? Is there any hope for this MOBO, or should I buy a new one?

Thank you and please help

My specs:
CPU: i7 7700k
Heatsink : BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Pro
MOBO: Asrock Z270 Extreme4
GPU: GTX 1080 msi gaming x
case: phanteks eclipse p400s
PSU: XFX Black Edition XTR 550W

ma5tah

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017

I didn’t find any damage on both sides of the MOBO and couldn’t pick out any particular smell, however it did smell burnt when I connected the led strip

If you smell around...you might still be able to pinpoint it.

Also...how did you test the PSU? If it was just the paperclip test....that's not exactly a 100% test....especially after something like this.

The proper way to test the PSU is to do a load test on it or at least check the voltages....but that's a little much to explain here....although you can google it.

Most people just replace the PSU.

...as to if it's the MB or the PSU....I'd lean on it being the MB because I think the are more fragile than PSUs....although a PSU changeout is generally easier and cheaper....so it's a gamble.