[SOLVED] Burnt motherboard component. Is it fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2021
Hi everyone.

I've just received my new Asus Zephyrus ROG M16 notebook (I've imported it from the US, since my country doesn't have it) and I made the terrible mistake of trying to install a M2 SSD to it. I'm used to mount and install desktop parts, but I have no experience with notebooks (that's why I said it was a terrible idea).

After opening the notebook my first step was disconnecting the battery power cable. While doing it, I've accidentally dropped the metal part that hold the power cable in the motherboard, while the power cable was still plugged. As you can imagine, the metal part touched a small metal part close to it (above what I think is the IO controller) and burned it.

Well, while trying to remove the metal part it touched a few more spots (as you can see in the image I've posted).

My question is, is this fixable? I'm not going to fix it myself (as you can see, I don't have the skills for it), but I'm really concerned and anxious to understand if I simply destroyed my notebook in a way that is not fixable.

x4xol4k24jl71.png

Last edited:
Solution

after removing it, I dropped it in the MOBO and it touched the first circuit, close to that chip (I think it is the IO controller). After touching it, it fried that circuit.

The other 2 "fried" circuits are me desperately trying to remove that metal piece that felt.
From your description, the blackened spots look to be the contact points where it touched the circuits as I can't see 'burnt parts' as such. That doesn't mean nothings damaged, it just means it will take some troubleshooting by an experienced tech to find what was damaged and then replace it. Replacement gets more difficult for certain parts...orders of magnitude more difficult when it involves BGA mounted parts in difficult to access areas.

It's...
Sep 4, 2021
Ouch That is fried circuit board section. I am no expert in the repairing of circuit board but that is not good. Which you already know. How did that happen, did you try to install something while the computer was powered?

Thanks for your response :)

Regarding how it happened, I was trying to remove the battery cable (in the picture, the battery cable is the one with the white plug). I was trying to remove it to install a new SSD card that I've bought.

The notebook was off and without the power cable. But, I forgot to turn off the "fast boot" option on the BIOS (I dont' know if the fast boot options leaves the notebook somehow "turned on" even when it is off).

To remove the battery cable we need to remove that tiny metal piece (the metal pice above one of the fried circuits, alongside with the white plug). Since I have little experience in installing notebook parts (I'm used with desktop parts, but notebook parts are so tiny), after removing it, I dropped it in the MOBO and it touched the first circuit, close to that chip (I think it is the IO controller). After touching it, it fried that circuit.

The other 2 "fried" circuits are me desperately trying to remove that metal piece that felt.

I already know that this is bad (well, the notebook bricked). And I'm okay with losing money to fix it. But I would like to know if this kind of damage is fixable, or if that is simply impossible.

In any case, I'm going to take it to a specialized company to check it for me next wednesday (next monday and tuesday are holidays in my country). But, they're charging me for the diagnostic (a quite high amount). So, I would like to now if it worth to try fixing it, or if that is impossible and I should not lose time and money trying to do it.

Sep 4, 2021
Few things are "impossible".

The problems lie in finding someone to fix it, and is it monetarily better than replacement.

Thanks!

As I've said, I bought that notebook from the US (since in my country that model doesn't exist, and a way worse model is 3x more expensive) almost 2 months ago. I've just received it yesterday and then this happened today. Just knowing that it is possible to fix is really helpful.

I found a company that seems decent. They're based in São Paulo (Brazil) and they are specialized in fixing damaged hardware (most GPUs, but they fixed some notebooks motherboards too).

I'm going to give them a shot trying to fix it.

after removing it, I dropped it in the MOBO and it touched the first circuit, close to that chip (I think it is the IO controller). After touching it, it fried that circuit.

From your description, the blackened spots look to be the contact points where it touched the circuits as I can't see 'burnt parts' as such. That doesn't mean nothings damaged, it just means it will take some troubleshooting by an experienced tech to find what was damaged and then replace it. Replacement gets more difficult for certain parts...orders of magnitude more difficult when it involves BGA mounted parts in difficult to access areas.

It's unfortunate you imported the notebook as the most economical repair might be to replace the system board, but one may not be available in a region where the notebook isn't sold.

Solution
Sep 4, 2021

It's unfortunate you imported the notebook as the most economical repair might be to replace the system board, but one may not be available in a region where the notebook isn't sold.

Thanks for your help and attention.

That was exactly what happened. The blackened spots are the spots where the metal piece touched the MOBO.

I think the chip (close to the 2 black spots) is an IO controller. I have no idea if those are capacitors. Also, I have no idea if the capacitor close to the white plug (are for). So, I dont know if the contact on those areas could damage a critical place of the motherboard.

I am getting no sign of life from my notebook. Plugging the power chord gives no charging light and hitting the power button simply does nothing.

Also, I have tried to power with the battery unplugged, without success.

Status
Not open for further replies.