Burnt motherboard ram slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2019
So basically my little brother wanted to try and build a computer without me, all the hardware was new no faults with anything else but the ram and the motherboard, basically my brother made a rookie mistake and didn't insert the ram probably also inserting the ram into the wrong slot, long story short he turns on the computer and he smells burning almost having a panic attack, I have a look and see straight away what he has done all the other components should be fine but i didn't if i should just replace the ram and keep using the same motherboard, Keeping in mind the ram was inserted into the wrong slot, Any reply would be helpful as im on a low budget is it worth keeping the same motherboard and replacing the ram or just replacing both

Specs:
i7 9700k
16gb ram
ASUS Prime Z390-A

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
While I would test each component to be sure, I would expect it very likely for the motherboard to also be damaged. There really is no way to know without testing though.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
it sounds like your brother inserted the ram into the correct slot, just backwards.
It does seem silly, but it is possible to make the mistake it's in the correct way when you're amateur and putting it in backwards and not fully clipping it (as it wont clip in fully backwards)

Usually when this happens it causes a bunch of sparks and leaves scorch marks around your ram slots on your motherboard. I did this accidently when i was a kid myself and unfortunately the motherboard was faulty afterwards.

Jan 1, 2019

All the other components are fine other then the ram and the motherboard, Im going to be getting paid soon so i was wondering if i should take the risk of replacing ram and using the same motherboard is this worth the risk?.

Jan 1, 2019

Yeah i dont know man i'm thinking about replacing the ram and using the same motherboard, But i still don't know if its worth the risk or not.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

The sparks would of originated from your motherboard from the ram being improperly placed, it's likely the motherboard short circuited and caused damage.. I wouldn't install new ram into a faulty motherboard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.