Question Burnt piece on laptop MOBO

AlphaDag13

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Hello, everyone. So I just purchased a new Lenovo 14 2-1 convertible laptop from amazon for Prime Day. I also purchased a 16GB stick of RAM to replace the 4GB stick it came with. However, when I was putting in the new RAM I accidentally dropped the cover of the RAM and it cause a piece of the motherboard to flair up and now that piece is burnt. The laptop seems to be working fine, however I'm concerned that if I use it, eventually something will happen to it.

I'm not super skilled with computers, I just know the basics and can do simple upgrades and installs (or so I thought). I'm not good enough to use a soldering iron or know what all those chips on the MOBO are.

Can someone give me a little guidance on what I should do? Amazon only could offer me a discount or return the item. However since it was a prime day deal and I really need a new laptop, I may just keep it and get it repaired. Amazon would not replace it, and I couldn't buy a new one for the Prime Day price, which was about 2/3 what the price is now.

Should I contact Lenovo about repairs? Take it somewhere to fix it? Return it? Or leave it alone in hopes that it won't be an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

There is nothing you can do yourself.

If anything seems burnt or otherwise damaged, the only reasonable thing to do is send it for repair. You should probably ask for a price estimate to to get it repaired, and maybe you need to pay something just to have somebody to look onto it.

AlphaDag13

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
There is nothing you can do yourself.

If anything seems burnt or otherwise damaged, the only reasonable thing to do is send it for repair. You should probably ask for a price estimate to to get it repaired, and maybe you need to pay something just to have somebody to look onto it.

Thanks. Do you have any idea what part could have been damaged and still have the laptop seem to work just fine? Do you think I should send it for a repair asap or wait until it starts showing signs of malfunctioning? Should I contact Lenovo directly for repairs? Amazon? Or a third party repair place?

USAFRet

Titan
So I just purchased a new Lenovo 14 2-1 convertible laptop from amazon for Prime Day.

Amazon Prime Day, being Monday 15 July and Tuesday 16 July...and today only being the evening of Tuesday 16 July...
How did this magic happen?

In any case...if something is burnt on the motherboard, that is almost certainly out of your capabilities to 'fix'.

AlphaDag13

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Amazon Prime Day, being Monday 15 July and Tuesday 16 July...and today only being the evening of Tuesday 16 July...
How did this magic happen?

In any case...if something is burnt on the motherboard, that is almost certainly out of your capabilities to 'fix'.
I ordered it monday morning, and I was surprised to see that I got it the next day. Although that's not uncommon in my area. So I got the RAM and the laptop at the same time and I popped open the laptop to install the ram, lifted the cover off the ram to replace it, and POOF dropped it on the MOBO and saw a spark and flame shoot up... After several minutes of wallowing in self pity about what I had just done, I installed the new RAM and started up the laptop. To my surprise it seems to be working just fine. I haven't seen any ill effects... so far. I'm just at a loss as to what to do. Do I get ahead of the problem and take it somewhere? Or do I just let it be if it's working and hope it never becomes an issue. Do I return it?

AlphaDag13

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
If it works, id leave it.

If you send it in for warranty repair, they might refuse due to the laptop being opened.
Is it possible that the laptop works just fine from here on out? As much as I'd love that, I really find that hard to believe. I checked the lenovo warranty and it says that opening up the laptop to install aftermarket parts does not void the warranty, but that they just won't cover the after market parts if they fail. I'm thinking of contacting Lenovo and telling them that I just noticed the burn when I opened the laptop to install RAM and leave out the dropping of the RAM case part... and see what they do. If worst comes to worst I'll just pay to have it repaired. Any idea on what it would cost to repair/replace a MOBO on a laptop like this?

TRENDING THREADS