Question Burnt Ryzen 7 5800x?

Noriouka

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021
Good Morning! I purchased a Ryzen 7 5800x processor last year, which gave me great performance and perfect operation all year round.

However, this week I had a problem with it and I would like to understand what could have happened so as not to repeat the same error.

I always do my own cleaning on the computer, disassemble all the parts, change the thermal paste and put it back together. I had never had any problems with this processor during reassembly.

However, in the last reassembly, despite having reinstalled everything correctly, all cables and parts in their proper locations and orientations, and no processor pin bent, when I turned it on I felt a burning smell, and immediately turned it off.

After doing a lot of research, and performing several tests, I was able to confirm that, unfortunately, the problem was in the processor.

Although it still receives power, as it heats up when turning on the machine, it does not show any other signs of life, and the CPU light on the motherboard becomes permanently on.

The only mistake I remember making was changing the monitor power cable with the psu cable, but both are the same in terms of ddp, amperage and power.

I left my psu with an electrician friend who will check if it is delivering the correct power and voltage, until then I can't rule out the possibility that the source of the problem was the psu.

What do you guys think?

Link to pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O8bRsjnOic4XypoWRpFAu0BUee67c4C7?usp=share_link

What do you guys think?

I think this is an example of cleaning a computer to death. Even though they come branded with names like "TUF" and "ARMOUR" and "Ultra Durable" these are still delicate pieces of kit and can really only take a limited amount of handling stresses before something breaks on a tiny part that's difficult to identify.

I was an electronics tech in USAF and we did the same thing. They're called PMI's (Periodic Maintenance Inspections) where we'd take perfectly good equipment off-line on a monthly schedule to clean, dust, tweak up performance to tech order specifications...and fix things that break because they'd been disassembled, cleaned, tweaked and reassembled so often. At the time it seemed counter productive if the intent was to lengthen service life and just more make-work to keep us from getting in trouble. But I've come to feel it was a consciously desired outcome because it creates problems for techs to sharpen troubleshooting and repair skills. All any peacetime military does (or should do) is train, and that's training. But when war happens, PMI's will stop as it's all prioritized on availability to the mission.

Sorry for your loss.

BTW: you might remove the first image from your pics as it seems a little bit TMI if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: norcalsc